Shimano 105 5700 shifter disassemble

polyx
polyx Posts: 112
edited November 2014 in Workshop
Hi Bikeradar, I'm new here, been a reader for a while. Thanks to you I know more.

I have new 5700 shifter (Right Hand) the rear bolt of which has been unscrewed by a mistake, and little screw from inner side mechanism has came off which is extremely fiddly to screw back without disassembling lever from the ratchet.

I am also attaching the picture of what needs to go where.
5700.JPG

Thanks very much for your replies!

polyx.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,577
    there's an exploded view of 5700 shifters here, it might help...

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 799962.pdf

if you've undone Something That Should Not Be Undone, you can probably strip the thing enough to rebuild, the lever axle (item 5) in the diagram is probably where to begin
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • polyx
    Many thanks sungod for shedding the light over this ! Never came across of that particular exploded view. Cheers a lot!
  • Polyx, I've just done the exact same thing as you (unscrewing that screw at the back and the nut fell out of the innards of the lever). Did you manage to get it fixed, and if so, what did you end up doing?

Next time I must read the instructions before messing around with intricate pieces of engineering!
  • polyx
    Hey Ringoz, Just finished it fixing it, took me 10 minutes after purchasing the right tool for removing E-Ring
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003 ... 01_s00_i00
    With this tool you can separate lever from body and easily re-screw the bolt :)
    Just follow the Maintenance section from this guide, it explains how to do it:
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 702880.pdf
    57002.JPG

It shifts perfectly now (it wasn't when nut was unscrewed), even though I haven't put e-ring back yet, for which I need tool B :) about to order it now.

Good luck!
  • Good stuff! very pleased to hear it is an easy fix. I will try it with some long bent tweezers and the Allen key to begin with, and if that doesn't work then I will get hold of the tools to remove the e-ring and remove the lever to get in there properly.

Out of interest, which way does the little nut screw onto the bolt? - is it the curved end facing away from the bolt (i.e. facing towards the lever) or towards the bolt (facing away from the lever). Instinct tells me that the curved bit should face towards the lever
  • polyx
    Your instincts tell true, curving side facing forward, towards lever.

You may need to wobble the screw inside the body a bit in order to nut screw "sit" straight onto the bolt.
    And when assembling everything back together, there's a spring you need to pull back and the end edge of the spring needs fall into little notch on the body. (it's explained in pdf but was a bit fiddly for me to manage).

FYI, i tried to remove e-ring with some sharp tools aka tweezers, but after several unsuccessful tries decided to go with the proper tool. I think ~£5 solution is far better than potentially ruining £70 device, considering you need tool B to put e-ring back anyway :)
  • brilliant. Thanks for all the advice! :D now I will try to channel my inner neurosurgeon to perform this operation...
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    Your post inspired me to have a go at repairing a 5700 L/H triple that jammed up a few months back. I have since replaced it but I fancied repairing it as a spare. Anyway, I did manage to remove i the E ring without problems using tweezers to rotate it to the correct position (as in the tech doc). I then pressed on one side of the ring with one leg of the tweezers, and on the other side with a small, flat screwdriver. It came out with no problems at all. Unfortunately I was then unable to figure out what was wrong, or to get it to work properly. I reckon that replacing the E ring would be even easier, although I havent bothered. Just thought that others might want to give this method a try before going to the expense of 2 special tools.
  • polyx
    Many thanks for your input on removing e-ring without special tools. Did you also manage to put e ring back without a special tool ?

side note:
    Having it replaced, gives you a peace of mind of pushing hard on the non-functioning one :)
    In my case it was brand new shifter, hence I could not risk it any further, I tried, however the exact combination of yours, aka tweezers and thin screwdriver. Apparently I did not push hard enough to remove the ring :D
  • Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread!

I did the same earlier this evening and was bricking it that I had just destroyed my new lever, why did I feel the need to randomly start turning that damn bolt!

After a few hours bodging, and being encouraged by the successful stories in this thread I managed to disassemble, fix, and reassemble my lever in a couple of hours. Phew...

That spring is a real fiddly one to get back in for sure.

I didn't use any special tools btw, just a thin bit of metal.
  • polyx
    Jordan, glad to hear topic was helpful to you too :)
  • mosamahab
    mosamahab Posts: 42
    Just have gone and done exactly this. :oops:

Now the shifter wont shift down to smaller cogs. pfft!

So angry with myself.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I had that same piece fall out of an ultegra front STI, it apparently is a common fault, sent mine back to CRC as it was about 1 year and 3 months old and is guaranteed for two years (dura ace ones are covered for three years!) they replaced it within 48 hours excellent service.

I really appreciated seeing your fixing skills and will be doing this when/if I have one go after the two years is up, really useful post, thank you.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • mosamahab
    mosamahab Posts: 42
    fixed it last night. didn't bother buying the tools as it would have taken time to get delivered.

used flat screw driver and a nail file to pry open the e ring.

Then the small metal shaft required quite a bit of force. Not as easy as it shows in the repair manual.

Then there is that fiddly spring. absolute pain.

took me half an hour. opening the shifter was the biggest hurdle. Once that is done putting that nut back and reassembly only took a few minutes.

Not a difficult job but requires some precision.
  • polyx wrote:
    Jordan, glad to hear topic was helpful to you too :)

Seems like a thread that keeps on giving! My lever jammed up and wouldn't shift down the other day, I took it off then that little bugger in the bottom right (below pic) fell out.

5700.JPG

as soon as i saw it it I got this thread back up, and in less than 15 mins it's fixed again. Phew..

I used a stanley knife blade to remove the e ring this time, maybe one day I'll get that bladdy tool :wink:
  • I'm resurecting this thread to give thanks to the OP. I've just revitalised a LH 6703 shifter thanks to the info on this post. I messed around for half an hour trying to get the nut back on as removing the lever looked like a daunting prospect.

I eventually bit the bullet and removed the lever without any drama, refitted the nut along with a blob of thread lock and had it all back together and working within 10 minutes. I only wish I'd done it that way to start with.

This is the second one of these I've had go on me, seems more common than I imagined. I wonder just how many of these have ended up in the bin?
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    Recently bought some 5703 shifters and noticed that the offending nut now has a strip of sticky tape over it, presunably to stop it from coming loose. I think I still might put a dab of araldite on it just in case.
  • hi does anyone know were you can get the spare nut that is connected to the samll allen key that you can see at the back of the lever, mines dropped out of my right hand shifter, I' ve searched for an exploded view to get a parts number but cant find anything other than the standard one showing you how to remove the lever,

hopefully someone will know as i dont' want to replace the shifters for what is likley to be a something that costs less than a £1

thanks in advance :)
  • found a pic of the nut on the web, doesn't seem to be a spares listed part. maybe called a t-nut/nut plate