Time to ride again after accident

jagx400
jagx400 Posts: 132
edited November 2012 in Road general
I recentley had a bad off, Concussion, fractured small bone in wrist, bad bang on the hip (swelled up horrendously), severe bruising on my leg.

Bruising is nearly gone, hip still has a swelling but nowhere near as bad, but still slightly swollen. I have sat on the bike and stood on the pedals to put weight on the joints, and all seems ok.

This all happened 2 weeks ago, havent been on the bike since. I am thinking of trying to cycle the 2.5 miles to work tomorrow to see how I go. Just wondering should i give it more time or go for it. Need to get the mileage in again as I am doing the Cheshire cat in March

Comments

• Try a short ride before the work commute and see how you feel once you are rolling along.. If you are ok give the work ride a go
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Why not go and see a decent sports physio and get their view/help with your rehabilitation?

You have loads of time before the cat ride so just push that to one side. The main priority is for you to recover well without damaging anything further.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    I agree with neale1978, go for a trial run first to see if you can manage ok. Some niggles might only show up when you actually get riding.

Not sure where you are but it's glorious here this morning so this afternoon might be a good time to give it a go before the rain comes back. Is there someone around today who would be able to give you a lift home if it all goes horribly wrong?
  • If you feel ok to do it but still sore on the bike maybe set off to work earlier than you normally would and then you can take it easy and there is less pressure to get there on time
  • jagx400
    Got a hospital appointment about my wrist fracture on Tuesday, the wife has told me to stay off the bike till then. Might be wise, will give my hip extra days to go down I suppose, Did try a quick pedal earlier and felt fine, ache a bit now though. Literally only went to the bottom of the garden and back.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    well im in same boat as you OP and i had a short ride to see how i felt.To be honest the ride was slow and legs ached,but after the ride my hips and pelvis hurt a lot more than they were before the ride.If you have a turbo then try that first,or just a small ride see how you feel.
    good luck.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • nolight
    nolight Posts: 261
    Try jogging. If you can jog, cycling should be piece of cake at least for the legs.
  • jagx400
    elderone wrote:
    well im in same boat as you OP and i had a short ride to see how i felt.To be honest the ride was slow and legs ached,but after the ride my hips and pelvis hurt a lot more than they were before the ride.If you have a turbo then try that first,or just a small ride see how you feel.
    good luck.

What happened? if you dont mind me asking