Fizik Arione's uncomfortable centre strip

surfgod
surfgod Posts: 97
edited November 2012 in Road general
Last month I borrowed a fizik arione test sadle from my LBS. I rode it for over ten days and was very impressed with the level of comfort it offered, so much so I decided to buy one.. After fitting the new seat I headed off for a forty mile spin, as expected I had to stop a couple of times to make some micro adjustments. I stuck with this new seat for a couple of weeks, but never acheived the level of sublime comfort that I had with the yellow test saddle.

I eventually came to the conclusion, that the stitched centre strip thats a feature on nearly all ariones was causing me the discomfort. As far as I can see, the fizik aroine is the only saddle in their range that has this ridiculous stitching exactly where you don't want it....Arrrgggghhhh

Comments

• NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    If you can feel that very low profile stitching through your chamois pad, then you need some new shorts
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Princess_pea.jpg

this springs to mind :mrgreen:
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    surfgod wrote:
    Last month I borrowed a fizik arione test sadle from my LBS. I rode it for over ten days and was very impressed with the level of comfort it offered, so much so I decided to buy one.. After fitting the new seat I headed off for a forty mile spin, as expected I had to stop a couple of times to make some micro adjustments. I stuck with this new seat for a couple of weeks, but never acheived the level of sublime comfort that I had with the yellow test saddle.

I eventually came to the conclusion, that the stitched centre strip thats a feature on nearly all ariones was causing me the discomfort. As far as I can see, the fizik aroine is the only saddle in their range that has this ridiculous stitching exactly where you don't want it....Arrrgggghhhh

What about the Arione Versus? It has the centre strip carved away:

5170141759_e6084ca30c.jpg

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Raffles
    Raffles Posts: 1,137
    arione was the singularly most uncomfortable saddle i have ever owned. using it was like sitting on the curved top of a bannister handrail that was batterring the perineal area no matter the angle.
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,911
    declan1 wrote:
    What about the Arione Versus? It has the centre strip carved away
    Solved the problem for me. I liked the general shape of the Arione, but it became very uncomfortable by about 60 miles thanks to the pressure in the centre.
  • How can you feel saddle stitching through your chamois pad????
  • fevmeister
    fevmeister Posts: 353
    edited March 2021
  • Do what I did. Try an Anteres, buy several, enjoy.

The Arione seems to work well for a lot of people (lets face it, it's probably the most popular saddle) but I found that after a few thousand miles the little bit of sag that developed in the middle meant that comfort on long rides suffered. The Anteres flat top seems to fix that nicely (so far).

If you're on the right saddle you shouldn't need to break it in.
  • Not all the Ariones have the centre strip or stitching. I have a white Arione with carbon rails that doesn't have it. I have another one with the strip and it has never bothered me.