Getting to the Stelvio Pass

Mr Hudd
Mr Hudd Posts: 5
edited November 2012 in Tour & expedition
Can anyone tell me which airport is the closest one to the stelvio pass when travelling from britain
Cheers John

Comments

• I always go to Verona but Innsbruck might be a good bet.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Verona, Innsbruck, Bergamo, perhaps Milan or even Munich. None really convenient. Could be worth checking out driving. We dud that kast year, and those German autobahn miles do go fast
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    I drove up to Stelvio from Venice this year. Spent day one going via Vicenza, Verona and Lake Garda (stopped for coffee on the shore) then Trento and eventually slept over in the car near where the route diverts off the Autostrada and into the mountains (in the last service station).

Set off early next morning and reached Bormio about 9.00am, did the climb and went down the other side and back again. Dropped the bike back at the hire shop and then drove back again (got to Venice about 11.30pm. Bit of a long day but also quite an adventure!
  • We flew to Bergamo last year, and got our hotel to come and pick us all up, which worked a treat.
    The trip from airport to Bormio was approx 2hrs, and the driver wasn't hanging about !!
    Stayed at the Hotel Funivia, who cater fantastically for cyclists, and have an excellent bike room with loads of tools and free lubes and stuff. Food excellent also.
    And with it being in Bormio, you're ideally placed for the Stelvio, Umbrail, Gavia, Mortirolo, Foscagno, Eira passes.
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"