Back Wheel Whipping Out

apollored
apollored Posts: 25
edited December 2012 in MTB general
I have an Apollo Revival as some have seen already and one of my worries over it is its very quick to slide the back wheel out if on a slightly slippery surface, mud, snow or even on a stone surface that is supposed to be non slip.

I know these surfaces are slippery but should the back wheel whip out so fast?

It has had me on the floor more than once and was just wondering is it a frame fault or do bikes normally skid like that.

Comments

• Its got nothing to do with the bike make. The back end whips out because the tires have very little or no tread at all. Anyones back wheel can go on them if they accelerate quickly or corner to sharply. Its just one of those things.
    cosna kick a bo agen a wo and ed it back till it bos-UP HANLEY ME DUCK

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
    Current Bike-TREK 4500
    Previous Bikes
    :Giant Roam 3
    :Bianchi Nirone 7
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What is the tyre, make/brand?
  • supersonic wrote:
    What is the tyre, make/brand?

Its a Michelin Country Trail

11483320.jpg

11483319.jpg
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Well theres your problem. Get some good tyres and i think your issue will be solved.
  • Why is that too poor a quality?

oh well for free whad do I expect lol:)

Will take your advice and look into new tyres.

Thanks
  • bennett_346
    Its probably partly technique as well but you'd struggle to properly learn the right technique on those tyres i think. Search for threads on tyres, there's hundreds.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Its really just going too fast. You can go quicker with better tyres but you might just fall off faster.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Combination of a lot of things, better tyres will help. Not buying Michelin tyres is a good place to start.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cooldad wrote:
    Its really just going too fast. You can go quicker with better tyres but you might just fall off faster.

Not really speed, I was going fairly slow last time tho mind the surface was uneven.
  • cooldad
    I didn't say you were going fast, I said you were going too fast. Slow can be too fast. For the tyre/conditions or whatever.
    So it's partly rubbish tyres, partly technique.
    I have an old rigid with slicks - it can deal with most things, including mud, just a lot slower than my full sus with decent tyres.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Very true tho the tyres just to make things worse arent the same front and back it has a Bontrager on the front by the Community Bike Shop, they didnt have another in stock and the one I had before got shredded along the sidewall and punctured.

No hope:( My orignal tyres lasted 11 years before they failed.

Definitely need wider ones with loads more tread.

Thanks lots for all your time and advice:):)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have generally found Michelins to be good (or at least OK) in the dry, poor in the wet, this seems to be abcked up by reviews I'v read as well with the Wild GrpR finishing dead last in MBUK's recent winter tyre group test for just that reason.

Get a decent wet weather tyre and keep the Michelin for summers (they never ruddy wear out!), a Panaracer Fire XC Pro in wired can be had for as little as a tenner (shop around) and will be 150% better.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I would look at how your braking?
    Are you trying to slow the bike down using the rear brake?
    Always use your front brake (in a straight line) before apllying the back and slow down before the corner, if you need to scrub off speed once in the corner (not advised) then a dab of the rear brake.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWsurfbum wrote:
    I would look at how your braking?
    Are you trying to slow the bike down using the rear brake?
    Always use your front brake (in a straight line) before apllying the back and slow down before the corner, if you need to scrub off speed once in the corner (not advised) then a dab of the rear brake.

No I usually use the front brake first then the back as you say when the wheel went the last time I was riding down an entry just to avoid roadworks and this entry is sloping with a centre bit which is uneven and had a muddy patch.

I rode onto this patch cautiously and it just skidded.

My partner said he could see skidding tyre marks in the mud but I was riding fairly slow at the time and didnt get time to touch my brakes.

I have ridden down this entry before without mishap, usually going the other way tho.
  • cooldad
    Mud is slippery.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Oh yeah especially on stone and in this recent weather yuk:(
  • apollored wrote:
    I have ridden down this entry before without mishap, usually going the other way tho.

backwards?
  • bennett_346
    sideways?
  • cooldad
    Big sticks
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've got one of them on the back of my Saracen, not too bad IMO, not ridden on the road with it, can be a bit sketchy over the chase on the polished stones on the dog though.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Yes as was mine.

Tho the previous whipping out issues were with different tyres.

Once with my original one and one using the Bontrager one.