Rear spokes keep snapping.

sprite1275
sprite1275 Posts: 157
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I keep getting rear spokes snapping and seems to be always on the drive side. Does anyone know why this could be ?
It gets on my **** as I have to take the tyre, cassette and disc off each time :(

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    new wheels.

is the bike a Spesh?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Sorry, what's a spesh?

The bike is a carerra hardtail and its about 9 years old.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Fatigued spokes - time for a new wheel.

Spesh = Specialized, known for using poor spokes.
  • Bummer, can't afford new wheels :(

Looks like ill just have to keep replacing them when they go. Just pants that they keep going on the drive side :x
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That's where most of the stress is at the back.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sprite1275 wrote:
    Bummer, can't afford new wheels :(

Looks like ill just have to keep replacing them when they go. Just pants that they keep going on the drive side :x
    replacing broken one will just lead to more broken spokes.

get a full rebuild done.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Depends on how you view it....my commuter has failed about 10 spokes now, each time I replace just the one, but its not an mtb taking heavy hits where having failed 1 more are very likely to fail on that ride....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    edited November 2012
    Also, if you pay someone £10 - £15 to fix one spoke then it'll be worth doing a proper job. If youre a fettler and have a supply then you can just do it as and when it happens.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    COUGH....75p/spoke....I then bought a cheap used wheel with knackered bearings that just happens to have the same length spokes......£3 for a full set of spokes!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.