Recommend me a bike please

foomonkey
foomonkey Posts: 16
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy myself a bike in order to get fit and explore but i'm in need of your help with recommendations on what bike i should buy? I'm new to the cycling scene having not been on a bike since during my teens. I've read the stickied thread for 1st time buyers with recommendations but i don't believe (or am i wrong?) those bikes cater for me due to my requirements of my body and life.

Some info on me...

First and most important, I'm 6ft 9 tall (which is my main issue which i feel the stickied thread can't help me with) so i would need a really large frame which will probably narrow the choices of bike since certain brands may not cater for my size. I also happen to live in a flat on the 3rd floor so i would need a bike that is fairly lightweight. I have already settled on the idea of going for a cross country mountain bike as i need something versatile in order to use it for commuting 10 miles (there an back) on the road for work but also to use it in my leisure time to go cross country, off road, down trails, etc.

From what i've leant so far, here is a spec list of what i am after;
    XXL/23-25 inch frame (i think) Lightweight Lockout (i did have hardtailed on my spec list but i have a question about lockout which may mean i would go for a full suspension bike. if i had lockout which i believe locks the suspension, could I free the lock on the front and rear suspension for the more challenging routes, then lock the rear suspension only and just keep the front suspension free for more bumpy flat routes and also then lock the full suspension for when i plan to use the bike on the road while i commute?) Hydraulic brakes Trigger shifters £300-£600 price range

If you could recommend me a bike that meets the above requirements and where to get one that would be fantastic! Also if you have any of advice for me that i havent thought of in terms of spec that would also be greatly appreciated.

Cheers! :)

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Forget full suspension at this money, you would be much better of suited with a hardtail for your usage.

This is available in XL and may fit, you'd have to try it (and any other to be sure - they vary a lot):

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/81-2012-id_8168918.html

Best spec and performer there is at this price.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Forget full suspension at this money, you would be much better of suited with a hardtail for your usage.

This is available in XL and may fit, you'd have to try it (and any other to be sure - they vary a lot):

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/81-2012-id_8168918.html

Best spec and performer there is at this price.

Thanks for the reply but i have a couple of other questions..

Is full suspension too pricey i take it? If so at what price range would i be looking at and am i correct with my thinking about how lockout works??

Also could you recommend any other bikes that are XXL due to my size?

Cheers!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd try XL and XXL bikes - most do the former, but not many the latter. As sizing varies so much I'd be surprised if at least a couple of models didn't fit.

Many full suspension bikes do have lockout, but spend less than a grand and they are usually a lot heavier with lower specs. I just don't think you need it looking at your intended usage.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Rear suspension adds weight, around 1kg, it also adds cost and a similar spec FS to HT will cost about £200-300 more, so for your budget and usage (for which you don't need rear suspension) an FS is just not right. Have a look also at the Voodoo Hoodoo at Halfords, the larger sizes come with long seatposts 400mm) and may well fit as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.