SwainsL
SwainsL Posts: 33
edited November 2012 in Road general
Do you feel tired?

Is there an easy way to get over it?

Comments

• declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I feel tired if I've cycled fast. If I cycle slow I don't feel tired - see where I'm going?

To get over it (tiredness), sit down with a nice drink and, well, just stay there for a while.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    It depends how intense your workout is or how fit you are I suppose.

After a long ride I usually feel a little glum. After having eaten and refueled I go back to normal.

Yesterday I did 20 Hill repeats on a steep climb which is A LOT for me and I got home just in time for a chainset which I was watching on Ebay. Ate, had a shower then got on Ebay.

Few minutes later I was struggling to keep my eyelids open and eventually fell asleep. Never have I fallen asleep uncontrollably like that before. I woke up 3 hours later.

It's totally normal to have a nap after a hard workout. Back when I used to read a pro runners blog. She mentioned how she would always have a 2 hour nap in the afternoon and that it aided her with recovery.
  • SwainsL wrote:
    Do you feel tired?

Is there an easy way to get over it?

Yes,

Sleep
  • I'd second the above post.

I seldom go at any pace other than 'hell for leather'/'full gas'/etc. I have a recovery drink straight away and generally (depending on when I placed my ride in the day) a meal soon after. That generally perks me up a bit but you can't undo fatigue and sometimes all I'm fit for is sitting in my armchair doing very little of value, or sleeping.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Just finished a 4 hour strength session....TIRED...but had a recovery shake and something to eat so I'll be fine this afternoon! As you get fitter your recovery time shrinks.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    You need to define 'tired'. Do you mean 'I fall asleep' or 'I can't walk for days' or 'Not keen on doing anything physical'?
    I have done 100 mile sportives and after eating and drinking then started an eight hour shift at work with no problems. I have never felt like sleeping or unable to perform anything physical(yes even that :D ) I guess it comes down to conditioning and fitness as you get stronger.
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    It depends on what you're used to and how intense it is for you. After a couple of days off I can do a hard ride, get home and have something to eat, then feel like going out again. If its my fourth ride in four days it's entirely different!
  • Is it unusual to feel generally elated, but tired ?
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • i done 50 mile today and was absolutly freezing. I have felt like sh*t all day since, coldness deffo strips more energy from you.
  • TakeTurns wrote:
    It depends how intense your workout is or how fit you are I suppose.

After a long ride I usually feel a little glum. After having eaten and refueled I go back to normal.

Yesterday I did 20 Hill repeats on a steep climb which is A LOT for me and I got home just in time for a chainset which I was watching on Ebay. Ate, had a shower then got on Ebay.

Few minutes later I was struggling to keep my eyelids open and eventually fell asleep. Never have I fallen asleep uncontrollably like that before. I woke up 3 hours later.

It's totally normal to have a nap after a hard workout. Back when I used to read a pro runners blog. She mentioned how she would always have a 2 hour nap in the afternoon and that it aided her with recovery.

Did you fall asleep and miss the eBay item??
  • nolight
    nolight Posts: 261
    Not very tired. But I feel sleepy later, maybe because I woke up early to cycle.
  • Buckie2k5 wrote:
    i done 50 mile today and was absolutly freezing. I have felt like sh*t all day since, coldness deffo strips more energy from you.

Same for me on Sunday - wasn't exactly freezing but there was a string headwind which sapped my strength and although 50 miles isn't particularly long, doing it with a headwind most of the way really took it out of me and I went to bed early.

It was also one of those days when the wind seemed to change direction halfway through the ride so it was head on for more than half the route.
  • Is it unusual to feel generally elated, but tired ?

I feel the same. I feel drained but great all the same.

I either go on longer journeys Saturday/Sunday mornings or mid-morning during the week, so when I get in I shower, fix myself a hot drink and some lunch and then settle in for the day.

Unless my dearest Mrs wants to go out somewhere, but the only time I ache is if i've been on a 30 mile ride and then get dragged round the shops on Saturday afternoon :lol:
    Hills are like half life - they wait until you're 50% recovered from one before hitting you in the face with the next.

http://www.pedalmash.co.uk/
  • Is this a real post, or a bit of sarcasm?

Refuel, rest and repeat as necessary. But you knew that, right?
    “If you do what always do, you'll get what you always get.”
  • Is this a real post, or a bit of sarcasm?

Refuel, rest and repeat as necessary. But you knew that, right?

As has been said before some clarification would help.

Tired is a bit ambiguous. You could say that if you're not a bit tired after a ride you've not worked hard enough.
    Hills are like half life - they wait until you're 50% recovered from one before hitting you in the face with the next.

http://www.pedalmash.co.uk/
  • Normally while I know i've been on a ride, it's not so bad.

But the other day coming home from Surrey Hills I was late to meet my wife, so couldn't spare the horses and was fairly pooped by time I got to kingston though a german hot dog and mulled wine and i was fine.
  • The only time i can remember feeling utterly incapable of doing anything but sleep was getting back to the B&B after riding the Fred Whitton this year. Had my milkshake, post race meal & all that stuff but i think a very early start & being on the road for nearly 9 hrs in gale force conditions dragging myself up insane climbs took it's toll. But boy did i feel good!
  • remember recovery starts on the bike by using carb drinks... sip every 10 minutes and take in around 28 grams of carbs every 30 minutes on top of your drink ie half a bar or one small gel, then making sure u stay hydrated and make sure you eat plenty of hi glycemic carbs as soon as you can directly after a training session. makes a big difference to your recovery