My first wheel build - What an experience...a test of endura

tbikeradar
tbikeradar Posts: 129
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Evening everyone...

I just thought I would share my experience of building my first wheel.

Well, I got started yesterday at 5pm, laying out all the bits and pieces:

- Sapim race spokes
- Brass spoke head washers - for a stronger wheel.
- Mavic XC717 disc rim
- spoke wrench
- minoura cheap wheel jig
- the dish stick
- brass nipples
- a bit of oil and grease
- kitchen roll
- masking tape
- glass of water, haribos, radio on.

e37572222111823.jpg

Lacing the spokes wasn't too bad, following the 3 cross pattern from the various websites out there. Mounted the wheel onto the jig and then screwed the nipples on until no thread was showing. A spin of the wheel and sure enough there were a few wobbles.

d0bb19222111755.jpg

An hour later after getting ride of the wobbles and checking the dish I discover radial hops!!! Oh man! So I get to work truing those out adding tension, taking some away...taking ages. I have to admit that at one point I started losing concentration and was undoing tension by accident and truing the dish to the wrong side. It is worth noting down on paper which way you want to wheel to go visually.

4597ea222111783.jpg

Bit of food and water...classic fm is on. When I think it is done, I check the tension with my fancy blue Park Tool tension meter (recommended investment). Tensions seem uniform, but I do go around the wheel scientifically trying to get accuracy. A bit of OCD here! Mmmm...all looks ok, so after about 4 hours of strangely therapeutic efforts I have a wheel. It is round and strong! Haha

9b6bf2222111735.jpg

But then, I decided to convert my tyres to tubeless and something like this happens!

The stans liquid explodes everywhere...like being slimed from Ghostbusters!

897f34222111026.jpg

So what did I learn. on your first wheel build, do it in stages over a one to three days, possibly a week. Break it up...oh and read Sheldon browns BEFORE you start!

sheldon brown wheel guide

I finished at midnight!

Hope you enjoyed reading...perhaps share your first wheel builds with us?

Thanks,

tBike. (junior wheelbuilder)

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Moral of the story is fark tubeless and get your wheels built by a shop!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    side on view?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The moral of the story is to build a wheel with tubeless compatible rims if you want to run tubeless :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • tbikeradar wrote:
    An hour later after getting ride of the wobbles and checking the dish I discover radial hops!!

Radials are hardest to get ride of, so worth doing these first.

Its worth alternating between radial & lateral truing, give it say five minutes for each, then work on equalising tensions for a few minutes. Then back to radial/lateral. TBH the radial problems can usually be 99% ironed out after the first go at them, leaving you with just lateral & tension to worry about.