Any opinions on the Genesis Mantle 10?

thebfg
thebfg Posts: 10
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, am looking at buying a Genesis Mantle 10 in a week or so after being impressed on a test ride. Anyone got any thoughts on the bike, reviews, things to look for or a general opinion on Genesis as a whole they could share before I take the plunge?

Cheers!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you like the ride go for it, but it does seem low specced for the money.
  • thebfg
    Low specced in what way? Around that price the forks and shimano bits seemed pretty standard on a 29er.
  • supersonic
    Is it definitely a 29er you want? Many 26ers are much better specced and lighter for this money. You do take a hit on parts with a 29er, but some are better than others ie the Boardman Comp 29er, which gets a very good air fork for the cash. Also worth looking at reduced 2012 models:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-nine-comp- ... _Sharkskin
  • thebfg
    Yes, I tried the mantle the other day and found the 29er set up very comfortable and interesting. I ride to work every day as well as playing off road so I think a 29er will be ideal to do both. I'm also very tall so it should suit me well.

I've looked at some 2012 models, the problem is being out of biking for so long and being a big chap it's nice to have the dealer back up and input on the initial set up. Plus availability of big enough frames in the discounts has been patchy at best, the Boardman 29er doesn't go bigger than a 19", the Felt you mentioned doesn't either, although the spec looks very good.
  • supersonic
    Maybe best to stick to what you know and have tried - how it rides it better than spec, I was just giving an honest opinion on the parts and value. But seems to be a trend with 2013 bikes in general, especially 29ers.
  • thebfg
    Yeah it seems to be a common factor with the 29ers that the spec suffers in comparison with 26". Maybe as they become more mainstream in the next few years it'll balance out. Mind there's going to be the addition of 650b this year to further muddy the waters!

I should have started riding again a few years ago when there was less choice!
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    thebfg wrote:
    or a general opinion on Genesis as a whole they could share before I take the plunge?

I like Geneisis as a brand - I have one of their road bikes & really rate it. Nicely designed & generally good handling bikes. Don't know this bike specifically though.

Real Cycles often have good prices on Genesis. Especially last years models...
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.