New wheels = new cassette? Confusing.

rapid_donkey
rapid_donkey Posts: 448
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have bought a wheelset off ebay for my 2011 Trance X3. These are the wheels (XM719's with superstar hubs):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230884005117? ... 1423.l2649

They are coming with a 9 speed XT cassette fitted. My Trance has SLX running gear and a 10 speed rear cassette.

Ive done a search, and from the replies on this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12834856&hilit=mavic+xm719

do I need to upgrade to an XT 10 speed cassette instead of wrecking the hub on the new wheels with my 9 speed SLX? If I do need to upgrade, I presume just fitting an XT cassette will be fine, I dont need a new rear mech or anything?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well if the bike is currently 10spd fit your 10spd cassette and use.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Just swap your cassette onto the new wheel
  • According to some reading up I have done, my SLX cassette chain rings arent mounted on a spider/carrier, and will eat into the alloy body of the superstar hub?
    Whereas an XT cassette has the rings mounted on a carrie which will prevent the chewing up?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    SLX sprockets are mounted to a spider, just less of them than on the XT.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    According to some reading up I have done, my SLX cassette chain rings arent mounted on a spider/carrier, and will eat into the alloy body of the superstar hub?
    Whereas an XT cassette has the rings mounted on a carrie which will prevent the chewing up?
    Oh so the SS body is alloy. Why did you not say yours had one.

Yes the single cogs can cut in just like the single ones on the XT can.

So either use your current cassette or buy a new one.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Sorry nicklouse for not being more specific, wasnt aware of this potential problem until this evening after I bought the wheels oops ha!
    I have read that any damage caused is cosmetic and doesnt affect operation.
    I think I will fit my SLX cassette and save myself £40. If I start to notice play or any problems then I will have to look into a new freehub and XT cassette. Im not a too hard or heavy rider anyway.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    People get far too hung up on this, don't worry about it.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I tend to break freehub bearings before i'd have time to damage the body anyway.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As I said, SLX does use a spider ... http://www.kustombikes.co.uk/drivetrain ... 0_cassette
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I have read that any damage caused is cosmetic and doesnt affect operation.

True for 99% of riders. You get a bit of notching in the freehub. Its very unlikely that it will affect you in any way.

Any cassette with a spider will avoid the worst of this anyway, as its the bigger gears that would cause the worst notching. SLX & XT both have spiders on the big gears.
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    And if you're that worried by the notching, SS do steel freehub body replacements..... :-)