wet weather gear

apple eater
apple eater Posts: 302
edited December 2012 in MTB general
For off road riding only what, if any, wet weather gear do you wear? What do you like and dislike about them?
I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sealskinz Socks - excellent, everything else pretty useless unless you like sweating like a pig. A couple of layers of quick drying stuff, or merino that keeps you warm even when wet, maybe a light water resistant shell.
    I do have a jacket with waterproof bits (chest, upper back, outer arms) and woolen bits (lower back, inner arms) that looks like sh1t but keeps the worst of it off and breaths. It's really old though and no idea where it came from.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Endura Spray 3/4 shorts - They stop spray wetting your nethers! Can get a little sweaty when pushing it though.
    Endura Stealth Jacket - Totally waterproof and fairly breathable. Worn with just a long sleeve wicking base layer it great below 10°C, too warm if riding hard above this temperature.
    Endura Thermalite Leg Warmers - Great under shorts below 8°C, water resistant too. Unlike full length bib tights these can easily be removed and stored in your pack.
    Sealskinz Socks - So essential to keep those pinkies warm and dry!
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    cooldad wrote:
    Sealskinz Socks
    100% this, saved my arse so many times in cold weather.

If you're only gonna buy one piece of kit, make it this.
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    Sealskinz Socks
    100% this, saved my ars* so many times in cold weather.

Yeah, even better if you wear them on your feet.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Given up on sealskin socks. Every time I have used them the water gets in via the two big holes in them (You know, where your feet go in) stays there and slowly turn my feet into blocks of ice. Merino socks for me now, I'd rather be wet and warm (oh err) than wet and cold.
    When you go to the ground you are in my world. My world is the ocean. I am the shark and most people don't know how to swim
  • cooldad
    If it's that wet I'll probably have tights over the top, but thge Sealskinz Thermals have merino inside, and even if they get a bit wet, your feet stay warm.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Agree with the sealskinz, great items but doesnt mean you'll have warm feet! 9/10 they are spot on especially with wooly socks underneath,
    ive discovered the joy od softshell jackets the past year, dare2b.com have some cracking deals on them and they have been a godsend! Decent 3/4's and knee warmers make a good winter combo too!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • bennett_346
    cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Sealskinz Socks
    100% this, saved my ars* so many times in cold weather.

Yeah, even better if you wear them on your feet.
    That's not as fun though.
  • Are the Sealskinz actually waterproof...as in they'll keep your feet dry even when your shoes have puddles in them?
  • bennett_346
    Are the Sealskinz actually waterproof...as in they'll keep your feet dry even when your shoes have puddles in them?
    Yup.

Thermal as well. As others have said though if theyre not tight fitting or you go through a river water will get in the tops. Unavoidable really but as the water stays in the sock instead of soaking through it kinda warms up like water in a wetsuit. My frame bearings came off worse than my feet!
  • Might have to put them on my list to Santa.
  • Might have to put them on my list to Santa.

along with other items i'll add them to mine aswell.
    I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    Altura Night Vision EVO jacket, Best purchase I've made for the bike I reckon. Far better than the numerous other jackets I've tried and the fact I finish work at 11pm every other week makes it even better with the high amount of visibility.

Not going to bother with sealskinz, Can't justify the price. Just got some SPDs so if all goes well I'll get some waterproof overshoes instead of probably a minimum of 3 pairs of the socks.

Still wanting some Altura Attack 3/4 shorts.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I don't mind getting soaked as long as I stay warm. I wear leggings, overshoes, a base layer, warm top and then either a water resistant jacket or a soft shell. Wouldn't mind giving sealskins a go at some point though.
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    Not going to bother with sealskinz, Can't justify the price. Just got some SPDs so if all goes well I'll get some waterproof overshoes instead of probably a minimum of 3 pairs of the socks.

Just be prepared to replace the overshoes every 2-3 months - they rip very easily. The best I've found are actually the planet X's own brand ones - reinforced stitching everywhere, especially round the toe, and the strap under the shoe.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Are sealskinz socks very thick? Don't think I'll get away with very thick sock in my shoes.
    Only bit of me that was wet today were might feet after they got soaked and after that they were freezing cold, the rest of me was nice and warm.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Sealskinz do 3 levels of thickness, along with different lengths
  • cooldad
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Same as my dry weather gear but with a waterproof jacket on top. Trying to keep try is pointless, I'd rather spend my money on trying to keep warm.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Endura Stealth jacket and bib longs with NW Celsius boots, not been cold or wet since
    2011 Cube Fritzz http://sdrv.ms/Z8xkDa
    2012 Zesty 714 http://sdrv.ms/YgJV4u
  • AMcK
    AMcK Posts: 79
    Altura Attack 3/4 waterproof shorts

Sealskinz - same as everyone else (although with my left foot behind the right when over the saddle, it's always soaked after a wet ride, while the other is dry and toasty)

I've got a Pace 3x3 waterproof jacket - it's very good with fully waterproof zips/seams, but to be honest I've worn it more times off the bike than on - and while highly breathable, it can get too warm so when I do wear it I end up stripping down to a base layer underneath (I'd recommend a jacket with zipped vents).

Nice and light to throw in a camelbak.
    2011 Black Canyon Nerve XC9.0
  • Bikehawk
    Bikehawk Posts: 102
    Another one for sealskinz, don't however waste your money on cheap waterproof jackets as you'll end up wetter than if you hadn't worn any at all :lol: and definitely a lot smellier :oops:. The old adage "you get what you pay for" generally holds very true for most outdoor gear.
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    Bikehawk wrote:
    don't however waste your money on cheap waterproof jackets as you'll end up wetter than if you hadn't worn any at all :lol: and definitely a lot smellier :oops:. The old adage "you get what you pay for" generally holds very true for most outdoor gear.

This ^

I had 4 different cheap waterproof jackets before the Night Vision Evo... The difference is totes amazeballs... Haha.
  • Sealskinz. I always stick another pair of sock underneath them too as I detest cold feet. It brings to mind the old saying "no such thing as bad weather, only bad kit". I might even trot out "buy cheap, buy twice" as its Friday.
  • A big tub of vaseline is useful (seriously!), as an added layer on your bod ... I've even taking to putting it on the front of my windbreaker jacket ... cocoa butter scented vaseline, to not smell like a sailors boot.
  • cooldad
    Just no. Nonononononononononononononononononononononono.
    One should never mention sailors and vaseline in the same post unless it's in Crudcatcher.
    And anything scented belongs in the roadie section.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    An umbrella
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    My Sealskinz socks came today, can already see why people rate them so highly, they do feel good quality and hopefully should make wet rides better than my last one with very cold wet feet.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If you get the unthermal ones, you can always add a liner sock under them, amounts to much the same thing. Also, follow the washing instructions, and don't dry them with heat, kills them. Love mine, never really understand how some people manage to have such problems with them tbh- first pair ended up leaky like some folks describe, but it took a year.

Other top kit- Altura Attack waterproof shorts. How I love thee, let me count the ways. They're just like shorts, except waterproof. A wee bit rustly maybe but they're not sweaty or rubby or anything, they're just shorts. And they're waterproof! Don't need to be handled with kid gloves like some (what use are shorts you can't machine wash?) and are durable too.
    Uncompromising extremist