First ride

Ricey83
Ricey83 Posts: 103
edited December 2012 in Road beginners
Finally got my first ride under my belt and really enjoyed it even though I struggled to walk up the stairs when I got home! It helped that I had my bro pushing me as I didn't expect to crack a 25 mile stint on my first ride especially as I hadn't rode a bike probably since I was a kid. Couldn't believe how nice it is to ride a road bike, I'm well impressed.

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Nice one :D
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Good, isn't it!
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • TommyB61
    TommyB61 Posts: 103
    Well done, mate.
  • Ricey83
    Cheers lads.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    thats a good first ride,well done.so it begins.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Well done. But just wait until a nice warm early summer day with no traffic. Magical.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Ricey83
    I was quite lucky with the weather too it started to rain for the last half mile and believe it or not the Mrs cleaned the bike when I got back.
  • Welcome to the goody room!!
  • Welcome aboard to cycling and the cycling obsession.

Wow, 25 miles to start! That is one heck of a way to start. I'm sure you'll be sore for a few days, but the muscles recover. It's the mind that gets hooked on the excitement, freedom, and fun of road riding.

I think I only rode 3 or 4 miles for my first ride, and I thought that was a lot. But that feeling of complete freedom took over. In those early days you can ride on passion and excitement. After a while, you'll need to do some training to maintain the edge.

The main point...be proud of yourself. That is a great accomplishment to get back on the bike after years of hibernation. And the 25 miles...well, that is just awesome! Well done.

-Brian
    I Wear Spandex
    http://www.iwearspandex.com
  • Nice one!
    Cipollini Bond
    Pinarello GAN
  • Ricey83
    The sun's out today and I want to get back out but it's the pain in my arse that's holding me back...
  • Ricey83 wrote:
    The sun's out today and I want to get back out but it's the pain in my ars* that's holding me back...
    Meditate on Rule 5 (and Rule 20 if necessary) and get out there.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Ricey83
    I managed to crack 30 miles on my 2nd ride out this Saturday and it felt a lot easier than last weeks 25 miles. My bro wants me to do the Wiggle 80 mile sportive in March so I've still got a long way to go. Im Planning on doing some midweek hill circuits because that is one area that I'm struggling in.
  • Nice job, cracking 30 miles! You are definitely on the way. You can certainly reach 80 miles by March. The question will be whether you "just finish" the ride or you "feel great" on the ride.

To avoid injury, make sure to do one week at very reduced intensity and mileage. Do that every once and a while and you will let your muscles recover. For example, if I do a 12-week training plan on my own, I take it easy during week 3 and week 9. Still riding, but very low intensity and low mileage rides.

Also, slowly add to your weekly mileage and long ride mileage. The rule of thumb is to add about 10% more mileage per week. You can go with whatever feels comfortable, but doing too much, too soon will put you at risk for injury.

Just some more tips as you really kick it into gear for the long rides. Good luck.

-Brian
    I Wear Spandex
    http://www.iwearspandex.com
  • Ricey83
    I've not done any rides in the week due to having no hi-vis gear but there is a couple of hills on the housing estate where i live which is well lit so I've decided to do circuits to build the strength in my legs.
  • ricey155
    ricey155 Posts: 233
    Have you done any yet ??

get on the case :mrgreen:
    Ricey83 wrote:
    I've not done any rides in the week due to having no hi-vis gear but there is a couple of hills on the housing estate where i live which is well lit so I've decided to do circuits to build the strength in my legs.
  • Ricey83
    Ricey155 wrote:
    Have you done any yet ??

get on the case :mrgreen:

Not yet it's still in the planning stage lol