2 x Mud tyres, one more tread...put on front or rear???

agg25
agg25 Posts: 619
edited November 2012 in MTB general
OK, got a 4 hour Enduro on tmrw and I predict there's going to be some goop around so the Bontrager Mud X's are going to come out.
Decision is, one tyre has more tread than the other (about 50% compared to 80%), I'm wondering whether I'd be better off having this on the rear for more power to the ground or on the front for better control...

(I now know why the entries close for these winter events about a week before the race, don't think I'd be as keen to get outa bed tomorrow if they didn't have my monies already!)

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I'd put the one with more tread on the front. Slightly less rolling resistance, but it's more important to have a stable front, if the rear end slides out you can recover it, if the front slides, you'll faceplant!
  • agg25
    Yeah, sounds logical, ideally would like 2 tyres with good tread but hey we're in a recession...well I am.
    I suppose next Q is what psi, have heard some recommend up to 50 psi to bite into the mud but can't see this being a good idea when it comes to wet roots (the bane of my existence).
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That will lead to your death on roots etc, IMO.
    Pressure is personal, and depends on weight, tyre type and size, terrain etc.
    I start at 25psi front, 30 rear, and fiddle from there.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Kind of with CD......I'd start at 30 both ends though, thats more than enough to cut through mud without killing you on rocks and roots.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Is this for the Brass Monkeys tomorrow? I have just bunged a Trailraker on the front.... :?

I agree with the other - put the better tyre on the front on the basis that if you can your front wheel through the mud / over the root then the rear one will (generally) follow. I am running mine at about 30psi as usual.

Have seen the update from the organisers on facebook who claim that the course isn't too muddy - it has literally been raining for the last 12 hours, the New Forest is totally flooded, so I can't REALLY see how it's going to be anything other than a total bog-fest :shock:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • agg25
    Whack the better one on the front, 30 psi and was a good setup, cheers guys. There was no tyre that would have gripped on some of the muddy downhill sections but the main thing was that the front never really washed out.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I prefer a Mud X rear & XR4 front. Mud tyres have very little lateral grip and are terrible on roots / Rocks. The XR4 has pretty good grip even in real nasty conditions and is ok on roots and you have the traction from the Mud X for getting the power down