Waterproof gear - what do you recommend & Lidl Ski trousers

Thebigbee
Thebigbee Posts: 570
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I'm not sure what the weather is like with you today but the rain is torrential where we live. However that needn't be a reason not to get out on your bike.

I don't mind the cold. What I do hate is getting wet which only helps to trap in the cold and make you feel it.

As a result I have been collecting an arsenal of wet weather gear to laugh off mother nature.

It would be good if you can share your recommendations, advice and hints.

I did a lot of online research before buying anything. I never knew there was a difference between water "resistant" and water"proof". And didn't know what the advantage of "taped seams" and breathability were.

Basically to ensure you stay dry you want waterPROOF garments and you want the above.

Like most things in the cycling market you can spend stupid money - but you really don't need to. My whole outfit, waterproof jacket and trousers, all taped and breathable and overshoes cost me £60 - delivered.

I bought a Dare2Be "Mindset" Jacket from Rutland Leisure on Ebay which cost me £28 all in. It is excellent.
Link to a Dare2Be jacket from them - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DARE-2B-BACKOUT-MENS-SKI-JACKET-WATERPROOF-BREATHABLE-VARIOUS-SIZES-COLOURS-/330710547289?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Skiing_Snowboarding_Clothing_LE&var=540059676297&hash=item4cffe27b59 mine isn't padded like this but just helping you get there!

Waterproof trousers were the next thing. I have some overtrousers from Aldi which although adequate are in no way breathable. You are likely to be wetter on the inside than out!!
Day to day I wear these http://www.mandmdirect.com/01/details/QW551/Trespass-Mens-Hosen-Walking-Trousers-Black with undershorts. Very good but not "proof".

I recently bought some ski trousers from Lidl that are waterproof, taped, have ankle gaiters for £19.99. I have had the pleasure of testing them out in the last couple of days on 2hr + rides and was bone dry, warm but not hot. They actually are breathable.

Another excellent and highly recommended product.

Finally overshoes. I have a pair of Planet Xs own brand that I paid a tenner for. They are very good for the price paid although eventually water does get through. At the moment they have some waterPROOF ones on offer for £9.99 http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CLPWPMNB/primal_wear_patches_neoprene_booties + £2.99 postage or free if you spend over £20. Their Phaart lights look like incredible value to me.

Jeez - think that is long enough!! HTH someone and any suggestions or recommendations would be great.

Cheers

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Never used waterproof longs. Keep the rest of you warm and work hard and it's not an issue.
    You won't stay dry out cycling. Even when it's sunny and dry out - you sweat.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    thanks for posting this info.very useful.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • cougie wrote:
    Never used waterproof longs. Keep the rest of you warm and work hard and it's not an issue.

Thanks for your "helpful" post. Makes absolutely no sense.

Dunno how you found the time or why you are scouring BEGINNERS forums.

Personally haven't seen a cyclist in shorts for a good while recently.

I like to keep dry. Oddball trolls like you are about as helpful as bog roll in the rain.

Thanks anyway for letting us all know you have to talk crap.

Did I really see 16K posts? I do hope I misread that..!!! LOL
  • elderone wrote:
    thanks for posting this info.very useful.

No worries, glad it's helped at least 1 person.

This is after all a beginners board and I know that fellow cyclists can be helpful and friendly.

Any more recommendations or tips greatly received.

Personally I suggest running lights all the time, but especially in inclement, dark weather. Decent lights can be picked up for £20 or less. There really is no excuse.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Depending on the intensity of your ride, you could end up getting just as, if not more, wetter by wearing waterproof gear, than you would wearing non-waterproof, but windproof gear.

Anything above endurance pace generates more moisture in sweat than even the most breathable waterproof gear can handle, in those instances you'd be better served by windproof gear.
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    Thebigbee wrote:
    cougie wrote:

I like to keep dry. Oddball trolls like you are about as helpful as bog roll in the rain.

:lol:

I agree with cougie. What many beginners may not appreciate is that the key to keeping happy when cycling in the rain is to keep warm, rather than expecting to keep dry. No cycling clothing is 100% breathable or 100% waterproof. Eventually you will get wet. Best then to buy windproof rather than waterproof clothing. Wear this with thermal layer to keep warm (and therefore happy) despite being wet.
  • fish156 wrote:

I agree with cougie. What many beginners may not appreciate is that the key to keeping happy when cycling in the rain is to keep warm, rather than expecting to keep dry. No cycling clothing is 100% breathable or 100% waterproof. Eventually you will get wet. Best then to buy windproof rather than waterproof clothing. Wear this with thermal layer to keep warm (and therefore happy) despite being wet.

Exactly right.

It's tempting to simply point out that you'll never see a professional road cyclist in waterproof trousers, but I don't remember the last cyclist of any level I saw wearing them, and I'd never do it myself. I'd prefer not to cycle in trousers at all, but if I am to choose a garment specifically for cycling, they would not be my choice! It's not like lycra takes that long to dry anyway; if the rain is a brief shower then you may well be dry within an hour or so.

Rain ponchos can be very effective, but I would only recommend them to someone who isn't interested in speed, as they probably won't be sweating much and won't be as bothered by the flapping. You can spend an awful lot of money on waterproof clothing, but nothing is truly breathable; if you think it is then you probably aren't working hard enough! :lol:

With that said, there is definitely a place for waterproof cyclewear, but I consider it a necessary evil for those cyclists who do 200 mile audaxes and the like, and spend many hours in the saddle. For everyone else it is best avoided. If you want to stay dry, don't go cycling in the rain! ;)
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Don't ski trousers have big flares at the bottom to go over ski boots? I've got ski trousers from Aldi to walk the dogs when it's snowing and I'm sure mine would get caught in a bike chain - I certainly wouldn't recommend ski trousers on a bike ride.

As others have said, if you try for water proof, in my experience you end up sweating more and get wet anyway. Best to go for warmth in my opinion and accept that you'll get wet. But I'm glad that you've found a solution that works for you Bigbee
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    Aaah Bigbee, welcome back old friend.
    Peter
  • fish156 wrote:
    Thebigbee wrote:
    cougie wrote:

I have heard it all now.

People are coming onto this site stating that they would prefer to ride with soaking wet clothes than not at all?!!

Each to their own and that.

I'd prefer to be warm and dry and not have a wet ass and feet....

Obviously some "experts" aka trolls disagree so have posted their "helpful" views.

It's as if the internet is begging out for people to mouth off really.
  • DF33 wrote:

Aaah - helpful. Glad you found the time to post that.

Does it make you feel better and slightly less small now you have helped out no one at all?

Well done "big" boy!

Wish I was as nice as you...

Must be cool posting stories on the net like you bro...

Nice one
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I find that I get soaked in waterproof gear due to sweat. The problems arising from this come on descents or if you have to stop to change a tube - you stop working but the weather is still cold and that's when you need your gear to be aimed at keeping you warm. Fully waterproof kit will rarely do that, but softshell jackets and suitable baselayers will.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • DF33
    Thebigbee wrote:
    DF33 wrote:

Aaah - helpful. Glad you found the time to post that.

Does it make you feel better and slightly less small now you have helped out no one at all?

Well done "big" boy!

Wish I was as nice as you...

Must be cool posting stories on the net like you bro...

Nice one

Sorry BigBee, Let me make amends.

As an ex professional skier I recommend a pair of these to complete your outfit and keep you safe, warm and toasty.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... CFIQ8wIwAA

HTH

Gros Biz

Pierre
    Peter
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Thebigbee wrote:
    fish156 wrote:
    Thebigbee wrote:
    cougie wrote:

I have heard it all now.

People are coming onto this site stating that they would prefer to ride with soaking wet clothes than not at all?!!

Obviously some "experts" aka trolls disagree so have posted their "helpful" views.

Of course, that's it, anyone who disagree's, or offers an alternative point of view is automatically a troll :lol:

There's only one person on this thread who is mouthing off........

All I can say, is if you're not getting wet from the inside, you must be riding at a very, very low intensity :wink:
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    Thebigbee wrote:
    fish156 wrote:
    Thebigbee wrote:
    cougie wrote:

I have heard it all now.

In my expert troll opinion, the most important thing to avoid "a wet ass and feet" when you're riding in the wet isn't what you wear but a set of mudguards on your bike. Just being helpful.
  • Critch
    Critch Posts: 60
    I think you've come down a bit too hard on some posters who made the time and effort to reply Bigbee. You asked for suggestions and they gave you some. I don't think anybody was trying to belittle your post and the effort you made to make the contribution.

Back on topic, I've spent a fortune on cycle clothing over the years, from own brand stuff like Wiggles DHB range, to branded, stupidly high cost items as I am positive many other Bikeradar users have. The waterproof/breathable gear is not perfect in my opinion. If its 100% waterproof you'll get literally soaked from the inside. If its water resistant and breathable you'll still get soaked as you have your bodies perspiration that doesn't escape through the fabric fast enough + the ingress of water from the rain once the fabric struggles with the constant onslaught of rain that wicks through. Its a sliding scale of waterproofing and breathability. Despite advertising, I don't believe you can get 100% waterproof and breathable.

That's why I switched to totally windproof gear. Yes the rain goes through it and you do get wet after a while, but you stay warm because the wind is not using the water to wick your body heat away. I actually feel better and warmer when riding in rain with a windproof jersey instead of a waterproof (or repellant) and breathable jersey. On my legs I simply wear a pair of Ronhill Bikester Origins (with the foot stirrup) over my bib shorts as I love the cut of those leggings, and then neoprene overshoes. I've never had a wet arse so much that it affects my ride and enjoyement, but I've had slightly damp feet on longer rides.

Thats all you need in my opinion, its just a different take on things from your own perspective. I'd rather feel totally unrestricted, warm but wet. In waterproof/breathable gear you'll still get wet either way but it wont feel as comfortable.

Its gag worthy when you get home and take your waterproof jersey or jacket off and it weighs 3 times as much as it did dry and its all your sweat. Ugh! Thankfully those days are long gone.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    @ TheBigBee, I think you're wrong to recommend over trousers. I commute 100 miles + a week, including all 5 days last week. Thursday was probably the wettest commute I've ever had yet I enjoyed it in a perverse way - I was warm and damp and wrapped up from head to toe. When it gets colder I'll started wearing my Aldi thermal bib-longs. Too hot at the moment -Ronhills running tights are all I'm wearing on my legs.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Blimey BigBee - you do have some issues don't you ? Anyone dares query your fantastic knowledge and you really go off on one.

If only beginners posted on here - how would you benefit from the experiences of others ? Ive been cycling for decades - thousands of miles per year. I think that's a bit more than you - but please feel free to correct me.

As others have pointed out - if you cycle hard in waterproofs -you'll sweat up. No waterproof kit can cope with serious exercise. If you're out in the rain - you will get wet. But if you wear the right kit - you can stay warm - nobody died of being wet - but hypothermia is a problem.

Mudguards and flaps are far better than waterproof pants - I see dozens of cyclists at the cycling cafes. I can't recall seeing anyone in waterproofs. Much better for rambling. A bit like your posts.

I think we know who the troll is here.
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    I just ride in bib shorts, skin is quickest to dry. Then again, I'm no longer allowed near schools....
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Trousers? Considered it a few years ago but like everyone else said, keeping warm is more important. Keep hands, feet and core dry and warm as a priority then splash proof or thermal bibs. Full mudguards are essential.

For feet I use either winter boots, sealskinz socks or overshoes but mudguards are what keep your feet dry and no matter what, water will always find a way to get through the hole in the top. So when water does inevitably get through, being warm will keep you going.

Unless on a very long ride, I now much prefer wind proof garments, with my full waterproof jacket only coming out for monsoons and sub zero conditions.
  • What about a drysuit? I certainly wouldn't go diving helmet though, not because it's too warm, but it rather restricts visibility.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    I wear waterproof trousers. I have a very short commute and don't want to change at the office. So waterproof trousers and overshoes on top of my work trousers and shoes work.

Anything else, particularly cycling hard, makes me very wet from the inside. Even in this weather. I wear a skull cap type hat under my helmet and can wring it out when I get home, just with sweat.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    classic thread yet again, fly off the handle much!
  • Last Winter, I went the full coverall route. This year, thus far I've been sticking to shorts, jersey and occasionally a waterproof-ish jacket.

I'm definitely more comfortable this year, even with my weird commuting hours (as early as 6, as late as 2) and over protracted "weekend" runs (not actually at weekends, I'm at work). Granted, I am on occasion a little wetter, but only around the legs, and that can be dried pretty quickly by simple expedient of pedalling harder. Something I couldn't do when the sweat gathered under my overtrousers.

One thing not to stint on for the cold and wet is gloves.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I love reading thebigbee's posts, they make me laugh.
    and not because he's funny, but more in disbelief !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • DF33
    Buzz off
    Peter
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Love this meltdown. I think his waterproof pants boiled his brain.