Feet like blocks of ice

clelanj
clelanj Posts: 68
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
Hi guys
Can anyone advise me on what to use to keep my feet warm in the really cold weather? Went out on the bike this morning and did 21 miles and my feet were freezing for the whole time. Do shoe covers help with warmth or are they just about keeping your feet dry. Also read about Sealskin socks, which sound interesting although expensive however I would have gladly paid £20+ today for a bit of warmth. Probably my least favorite ride to date because it was so cold. Would be interested in what you do to stay warm on a ride?
Cheers John

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Overshoes or toe warmers will keep the cold air out and certainly help! That and woodie boolie or baa baa merino socks.
  • Or if you are on a really tight budget then tape over the air vents in your shoes :shock:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    over shoes every time..plus tape up vents work for me.got mine off ebay £15 posted.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Neoprene overshoes are what you need, not the lightweight ones which are waterproof but offer little warmth. My Planet-X neoprene overshoes are on their third winter and cost only 15 quid.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • ctc
    ctc Posts: 232
    I got the BBB Waterflex overshoes recently. Not too thick so I don't get sweaty.
    Can also fit my spd and spd-sl for road & commuter
    Quality piece of kit
  • Or if you are on a really tight budget then tape over the air vents in your shoes :shock:
    YMMV - it didn't make enough of an improvement for me. Overshoes made all the difference, but even with the basic level DHB ones, I still have cold toes by the end, so I'm thinking of getting the extreme weather ones.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    I prefer proper winter boots over overshoes, much better for me in my experiance.
  • I use Endura waterproof neoprene overshoes, I only wear thin socks all winter, they are brilliant keep your feet nice and toasty. they occasionally let water in down through the ankle, the water just warms up as there is no wind getting in to chill the water and feet. they are a bargain at only £22 delivered.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Worth saying that for winter, it's best to have shoes that are a tad too big, maybe one half to a full size bigger.

I use Shimano Goretex boots and when it's really cold (and I do suffer from cold feet and hands more than most) I put on some Craft toe warmers over the top of the boots.
    YMMV - it didn't make enough of an improvement for me. Overshoes made all the difference, but even with the basic level DHB ones, I still have cold toes by the end, so I'm thinking of getting the extreme weather ones.

Agreed Chris. I keep mine taped up and only put overshoes on for the colder mornings. I also wear a couple of pairs of thin socks under a thicker Merino socks but I know that this isn't for everyone.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • nort757
    nort757 Posts: 104
    suffer from cold feet too ended up buying some endure mt500's on the mtb and they did the job brilliantly,went out this morning and did 70 mile and my feet were cold the whole ride and soaked for the last 30 or so,id definately go for overshoes over warmer socks when its really cold, i just need to decide on which ones
  • If you're riding a lot in winter, don't scrimp on overshoes and just get some decent neoprene ones. I use the NPU Tarmac Pro and can go out in a single pair of normal socks without any worries, they keep my feet waterproof and warm. For the sake of £25-£30, I don't understand why people don't just buy them, they'll last ages.
  • If you're riding a lot in winter, don't scrimp on overshoes and just get some decent neoprene ones. I use the NPU Tarmac Pro and can go out in a single pair of normal socks without any worries, they keep my feet waterproof and warm. For the sake of £25-£30, I don't understand why people don't just buy them, they'll last ages.

+1 on this, they're great
  • PAK-MAN wrote:
    If you're riding a lot in winter, don't scrimp on overshoes and just get some decent neoprene ones. I use the NPU Tarmac Pro and can go out in a single pair of normal socks without any worries, they keep my feet waterproof and warm. For the sake of £25-£30, I don't understand why people don't just buy them, they'll last ages.

+1 on this, they're great

+another one, think they are great even after a couple of hours when the water eventually gets in it keeps everything warm.
  • Yep overshoes are what you're looking for. Make a massive difference.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    2 pairs of socks - we do layering all over so carry it into the feet - a fine merino inner layer and a heavy nylon outer layer works for me

loosen off the shoes so the blood flows
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    get some overshoes AND some toe warmers - when its really cold I've layered up with both, and with some DeFeet Woolie Boolie socks have been warm. If a bit warmer just use the toe warmers, bit colder just use the overshoes. Relatively inexpensive and versatile...BBB Hardwear neoprene overshoes work well, provide insulation and weatherproof.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    It is a difficult area and one I haven't found an answer to. Everyone is different, I suffer from cold feet at the best of times. I've tried DeFeet socks, PlanetX over-shoes and I've spent £130 on winter boots (which do help by the way) but I still get cold feet.

With gloves the only thing I've found that works is multiple layers so that's the next step for my feet as well.
  • I'll voice my opinion for the overshoes votes. It's the wind chill that creates the problems not the actual temperature - unless you're from Norway! I've Planet-X overshoes coz i got a good bargain a few years ago. Also, use hiking socks made of merino wool - nice and warm.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Just back from mtb'ing 20 miles around Aviemore, about -2C at 5pm and I can assure you it wasn't the wind chill! :-)

Interestingly I was in Stavanger recently and they said that because it's on the coast it never gets super cold and they don't get much snow compared to the central Highlands of Scotland! When I enquired about cross country skiing they told me I could drive an hour away to find some most years.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Fairly cold and damp yesterday, i had Endura overshoes, summer socks and my feet were fine. If it's gets really cold i'll put some merino socks on instead of summer socks and that'll do the job.