slicks for century ride

robertsims
robertsims Posts: 141
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
hi. currently got on some semi slick old mt badly comp tyres. However I've signed up for 117 mile ride from bristol to London next summer. wondered if anyone had any suggestions on some slicks to help ease the pain. I ride a 10 yr old Orange Clockwork mtb.
Triban 3

Comments

• Yeah, beg steal or borrow a road bike.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Yeah, beg steal or borrow a road bike.

+1, it won't be the funnest ride ever on a mtb!
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    Schwalbe Kojaks 26x2.00 or 26x1.35
    If you're fit you're going to be fine and you may be surprised how many roadies you'll be overtaking :)
  • Barteos wrote:
    Schwalbe Kojaks 26x2.00 or 26x1.35
    If you're fit you're going to be fine and you may be surprised how many roadies you'll be overtaking :)
    It's the if your fit part that might be problem! Am working on beg borrow road bike but running out options!
    Triban 3
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Look on eBay or Gumtree, semi decent road bikes don't sell for that much and you can just sell it on afterwards..... That or Decathlons Sora groupset roadie is only £220.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • road bike is the best option but failing that i have used schwalbe city jets before. work well enough and cheap too
  • The Rookie
    +1 for CJ's if you do use the MTB.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Road bike.

Don't fanny around with 2" slicks, get some Spesh Turbos or Conti GP 26x1.0 and have done with it.
  • The Rookie
    Go to 26x1.0 and he may run out of gears....I'd suggest a 26x1.5 that will take 80+psi.....the Panaracer Ribmo 1.5 is quite good as it has a V shaped tread that keeps the rolling radius up and the contact width down (about 4mm....)
  • that's great guys. not sure if 1.0 will fit rims but 1.5 should. can't afford road bike at moment or would get one as use my mtb basically totally on road or cycle paths now anyway.
    Triban 3
  • 1.5 - 2 would be fine. my cj's were 1.95 and took about 80-85psi iirc made a huge difference on the road and are still hanging in the garage in case of emergency.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Even with a 1" he'll be good for well over 20mph, which is unlikely to be an issue.