Headset knowledge/upgrade wanted.

ThePriory1978
ThePriory1978 Posts: 563
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Serviced my Acros AiX-03 headset last night as it was feeling cunchy.
Standard steel bearings were rusty orange it was full of dirt and hardly any lube.

All fixed up and running as sharp as poss but it still dosent feel perfect. After the winter abuse I’m going to replace it.

What should I look at as a replacement and upgrade?
Current headset is a zero stack (top and bottom cups) tapered affair.

Are stainless steel bearings adequate?
Should I try and get sealed cartridge bearings?
Are ceramic bearings really worth the extra expense?

I’m guessing Hope or Cane Creek is the way forward.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x

Comments

• Can you actually feel it when you ride? My guess is not.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Hope, Cane Creek or maybe even Chris King.
    Absolutely get sealed bearings (arent yours already?)
    Ceramic - dont bother.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Just get new bearings. No need for a new headset.
  • Thanks for the advice.

Current bearings not sealed.
    No cant feel it when riding.
    Acros want 51 euros for replacement stainless bearings. Might as well buy a new headset.

Am thinking Hope stainless. My bottom bracket failed after a few months and replaced it with a Hope one.
    Canyon, great value for money. Cheap shoddy parts in places where you cant see them.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Personally I would take a Cane Creek 40 over a hope, but thats just me. They are both very good.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • col748
    col748 Posts: 81
    I used tapered zero stack from superstar components, great fit and finish, good price, its stood up to some abuse with no problems.

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/index.ph ... gn43pf4l74
  • No cant feel it when riding.

So what's your problem? Service it every couple of months or even longer if you really cba.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    No cant feel it when riding.

So what's your problem? Service it every couple of months or even longer if you really cba.

Agree with this - if it is working, just keep an eye on it.
  • Having read several posts about issues arising over the replacement of Canyon Nerve headset I was quite worried as I had purchased a 2013 Nerve AL 8.0 in October 2012 that came equipped with the Acros aix-03 headset.

After just 3 months of winter use the bottom bearing started to feel a bit grainy.
    The size of the bearing needed for the replacement is 40x52x7mm with 45 degree angles. This bearing can be purchased from superstar components for £7.99 and is the type 2. I purchased one and it fits directly into the bottom of the head tube. It is an easy part to swap just be careful not to damage the head tube when you are knocking the old bearings out and make sure you put the bearing in the right way up. I have had this bearing in now for 9 months and it is still as smooth as the day that it went in.
    As for the top headset I have two solutions. I have tried and tested both and confirm that they both work.
    Solution one is the replacement of just the bearing. The bearing that is required is size 31x40x6.5 with 45 degree angles. I have found two places that sell this size bearing the first is on Ebay from Aire bearings I purchased model number MH-P03 30.15x41x6.5, ebay number 131004690933 for £4.74. As you can see the outer diameter of 41mm is exactly the same and the inner diameter is .15 smaller but I can confirm that this fits around the 1 1/8 steerer perfectly. I have had this bearing in only for a week so can’t comment on the life of it but the quality feels good.

The second place is from Simply bearings product name Enduro ACB3645SS Headset Angular Contact Bearing 30x41x6.5mm Inner/Outer Chamfer, priced at £16.92 excluding Vat. I have not purchased one of these but have read on other posts that they fit. The only reason I did not try this was due to the price getting near to the cost of a new hope headset.
    To replace this bearing you have to remove the old bearing from the Acros plastic bearing cone being careful not to damage the cone. I found the bearing quite stiff to get out and ended up knocking the cone out as it was easier to remove the old bearing once out and clean the old cone. I then re inserted the bearing cone and tapped the new bearing into place.

Solution two is replacing the whole top headset. I did this by using the Hope pick and mix type 2 which is 1 1/8" Integral - ZS44/28.6 this was £28.80 from Wiggle.

To fit this headset just remove the old Acros plastic bearing cone containing the old bearing the same as when I changed just the bearing and clean the head tube.

I lightly greased the new Hope headset cone and lightly tapped it into place using a rubber mallet.
    Then put the hope bearing into the cone and re assemble.
    I only used one of the three shims provided as two left a very small gap

The new hope headset fits perfectly and is super smooth. The whole job from start to finish took around 20 mins and come be done easily at home. The tools that I used was a 5mm allen key, flat head screwdriver, rubber mallet, wife's best tea towel and grease.
    The only reason I ended up replacing the whole headset was that I ordered both the spare bearing and the headset at the same time and tried both to see which worked. Both did.
    I hope this has cleared up some confusion and helps fellow Nerve owners. Please do not have a go at any technical terms that I may have got wrong, I am not a bike mechanic, I just enjoy maintaining my bike.
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    Canyon, great value for money. Cheap shoddy parts in places where you cant see them.

Thats the same with any bike, unless you buy a very expensive one or build it yourself (like i do)