The new bike arrived!!!!!!!!!!

MattyyP
MattyyP Posts: 142
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
So after years of riding an MTB off and on road, I decided to take the plunge and buy a road bike! I saw a second hand Specialized Secteur Sport for sale on here, and I got it and it arrived yesterday! :)

It has had a couple of upgrades, carbon seatpost and Shimano RS30 wheels!

Did my first serious ride today, 35 miles in the driving wind and rain in the Derbyshire dales, however loved every single second of it! I'm so surprised at the speed/acceleration/lightness/stiffness of the bike! Now I know it's no tour de france winner, however it is a world away from riding my heavy MTBs on the road!

I was really concerned about trashing the wheels by going down pot holes etc, but by accident I hit one today as it was dark and it's not buckled the wheels at all! Averaged 17mph over the trip, and i'm pretty pleased with that considering the weather conditions! Had a bit of a silly race along the A6 near Matlock though, some guy on a Hardtail went past me when I was waiting at some red lights, it was a pretty flat section of road so didn't take me long to catch him, I was beasting it though lol! Hit 27mph however once I was passed him I eased off as I know i'm no where near fit enough to beast it like that all the way! But still!

Really glad i've finally decided to go Roadie! Hopefully many happy years to come, even if I do get into debt when I want to upgrade to a full carbon bike! Haha :)
Specialized Secteur Sport 2011
B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
B'Twin Rockrider 9.1

Comments

• elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    nice one,seems like the mtb served you well with that kind of speed.
    enjoy your new bike.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • MattyyP
    MattyyP Posts: 142
    They definitely did! I do have an overall good level of fitness though as I also jog several times a week which has probably helped out! :)

Just a quick question actually to throw out there, the bike currently has michelin pro 3 tyres on... They served well today to be honest but I was obviously going easy round corners with the roads being soaked! Do they serve well in general? And once I need new ones should I replace them with Pro 3s or buy something else?
    Specialized Secteur Sport 2011
    B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
    B'Twin Rockrider 9.1
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Pro 3s are pretty good tyres. I'd stick with em till they wear out then see what's what. Ideally it'll be going on for summer by then, so you can buy some more Pro 3s.

I commute on them all year. Punctures are a rarity and grip is never an issue, accepting that in the wet you take it a bit easier.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Pro 3s are really a race tyre and not that robust for this time of year. I would chop them out and save them for better weather & either put something cheaper or longer lasting on for now - although PR3s can be found on offer these days as they have been superceded.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Nice bike with superb wheels, enjoy :-)
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!