Is the bike size chart or pro fitting really a good guide?

blackstick
blackstick Posts: 151
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
There has been sizing guide + even pro fitting bike places everywhere.

I know that the chart can help someone if they never tried the bike say from the internet, but it is just rough guide.
But what if you are measured and do bike fitting in a "pro" shop but still you find the "exact" frame sizing according to the measurements not fitting right as well?

Being someone who hates visiting bike shop sometimes > reason> to sell you a bike the guy there will shed you with loads of bullocks on fit and etc when it does not even feels right... example - I seen a bike in shop XXX, its a 56cm, before I saw one 58cm same place... the guy told me both of them are my size.... I'am 5'8" fitting a 56 and 58? RIDICULOUS!! Even according to the not so accurate size chart that you can find on the internet... but some people same size with me having different attributes on body shapes might fit. Its not entirely shit I guess....

So question, stick to the size I prefer or the pro advice or the "pro" advice?

Or because I'am so unlucky, I did not meet real enthusiastic cyclist with real cycling shops?
In Bristol anyway.... any advice on that... I will have one simple bike fit tomorrow with BikeScience here.

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I am not sure what you are asking really but at 5'8" you are never going to fit a 58cm frame, I would wager even a 56cm is too big.

I would suspect somewhere around 54cm is more 'in the ball park'.

Get a proper bike fit by someone like Adrian Timmis at Cadence Sport (or equivalent in your area).
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • p1tse
    p1tse Posts: 694
    I would have it a guess it was a bigger chain store maybe trying to sell stock they had in?

I'm 5ft8 and find some 54cm too big, ie not enough room above top tube or too stretched
    I prefer the next size down

A cube 53cm which is more compact feels nice under me
    Cube 56cm is closer to normal 54cm but it would need customising for me with shorter stem
    Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    p1tse wrote:
    I would have it a guess it was a bigger chain store maybe trying to sell stock they had in?

I'm 5ft8 and find some 54cm too big, ie not enough room above top tube or too stretched
    I prefer the next size down

A cube 53cm which is more compact feels nice under me
    Cube 56cm is closer to normal 54cm but it would need customising for me with shorter stem

+1 I'm about your height and have a 54, am thinking of going smaller next time to get more standover

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • I'm 5' 9" and bought a 56 Focus Mares. It's probably a little too big, but I felt better on it than I did the 54.

Get your bike fit done, but just make sure you feel comfortable on the bike you buy regardless of what anyone or any list tells you.
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    I am 6ft and fit a 56cm.
  • nolight
    nolight Posts: 261
    smidsy wrote:
    I am not sure what you are asking really but at 5'8" you are never going to fit a 58cm frame, I would wager even a 56cm is too big.

I would suspect somewhere around 54cm is more 'in the ball park'.

Get a proper bike fit by someone like Adrian Timmis at Cadence Sport (or equivalent in your area).

Possibly even 52.
  • hostman
    hostman Posts: 104
    I'm 5'10 and have a 52, I have a funny combo of long legs but short torso.
  • I'm 6' and the seat tube of my favourite bike is 63cm. This depends on the geometry of the bike. Sizing guides can give a cursory indication, but we are all proportioned differently...
  • skooter
    skooter Posts: 264
    Its very confusing with sizes as 53, 56, 60 mean no more the small medium or large.
    As a suggestion go to a reccomended dealer of the bike you want and then go to another and see what they say matches up..
    But do have a proper fit, you will not regret it..