FSA Team Issue Carbon Wheelset

Sevenfold
Sevenfold Posts: 86
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
Anyone had any experiences, good or bad with these?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fsa-team-issue-clincher-wheelset/

Thanks

Comments

• Not cheap for what they are... The carbon is cosmetic, rather than structural.
    A handbuilts alternative with the same weight and better hubs and serviceable wirh available spares will cost you 100 pounds less...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I'd be worried about spares availability so make they don't need special spokes. The likes of DuraAce C24 are very similar in design and price and present fewer worries about spares.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • What would you recommend? I am 80kg, looking to replace a set of Ritchey DS Pros on a Boardman Team Carbon as the Sram S30AL Races that were on it have gone onto my new Fratello (very nicly too!!). The DS's have some cracks in the rear rim so will not be used again. The Boardman is used as a summer commuter plus sportives/audaxes (when the sun is out, the Fratello is perfect for wet rides) so looking for something around 1400/1450grams as the sportives are generally in the Cotswolds so need to be light in comparison to aero.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    nah ! save up a bit more and get some Shaml Ultras
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • You want something like this

http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/news/63-new ... 23-tweaked

There are options to build them cheaper without the fancy CX ray spokes, but the idea is good
  • You want something like this

There are options to build them cheaper without the fancy CX ray spokes, but the idea is good

Ugo, can I ask why do you rate these wheels so highly? Just curious as I was looking at them as a replacement for ksyrium slr.... Interested to hear your thoughts a s a builder pls.

Also I love the shamal ultras from what I've read, it seems nobody has a bad word to say about the, but for some reasoning I think the spoke count look horrendous. How would these race 23's perform against the shamals

Thanks
    Look 595 ultra - F+F for sale.....
    Cervelo r5
    Kinesis T2 2013 winter bike
    Merida Carbon 1500 flx MTB
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I have Shamals, great wheels and far better than the Ksyrium SLs they replaced. If you want something a little more aero, the American Classic AC420s are noticeably quicker - downside is that AC wheels need more care/maintenance.
    I'd agree on the Wheelsmith Race 23s being a great all-rounder an standard spokes means repairs will never be a worry.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Crispyapp wrote:
    You want something like this

Ugo, can I ask why do you rate these wheels so highly? Just curious as I was looking at them as a replacement for ksyrium slr.... Interested to hear your thoughts a s a builder pls.

Also I love the shamal ultras from what I've read, it seems nobody has a bad word to say about the, but for some reasoning I think the spoke count look horrendous. How would these race 23's perform against the shamals

Thanks

The rms are wide, yet reasonably light and very very stiff. Cx ray spokes are very light and slice through the air better than any other spoke. I would build them with different hubs, given my aversion to Bitex ones, but I am sure Wheelsmith stocks only what he thinks is reliable.
    Fully serviceable, as opposed to Mavic or Campagnolo wheels... That is the main advantage. A replacement rim is ready available for 55 pounds.., a replacement Mavic is nearly 200... Provided you find one
    A no brainer for me
  • They do sound tempting, how would you rate them against a set of fulcrum racing zero? Would they be as stiff, fast, light? What hubs would you build them on?
    Cervelo r5
  • Crispyapp wrote:
    They do sound tempting, how would you rate them against a set of fulcrum racing zero? Would they be as stiff, fast, light? What hubs would you build them on?

They are extremely stiff rims, nearly like deep section carbon ones, which is the reason you can build them at 24. I would downgrade the spokes to DT competition at the rear and DT revolution at the front, but would upgrade the hubs to something decent... Even Dura Ace if you can afford them... But that's just me... Quality over weight, always!
    They would probably come at just over 500pounds... Maybe a touch more for the newest DA 9000... Of course if you are on Campagnolo you need to look at other hubs
  • I had FSA rd600 wheels until recently and they were fantastic ... The bearings ran smoother than any other wheel I've owned (example: my gf also used to have these wheels and on a long gradual downhill with no pedalling she could pass me ... I had Kysrium Equipe's but weighed 12kg heavier so gravity was on my side ... When she had Aksium's she was nowhere near) ... Same situation on bike shop,runs with myself and heavier guys with even more expensive wheels ...

They never once ran out of true regardless of the horror stories, and this is mainly on the streets of Edinburgh ...

Don't get me wrong ... We paid 40% rrp for them but if you get them at a good price then why not ...
  • Crispyapp wrote:
    They do sound tempting, how would you rate them against a set of fulcrum racing zero? Would they be as stiff, fast, light? What hubs would you build them on?

They are extremely stiff rims, nearly like deep section carbon ones, which is the reason you can build them at 24. I would downgrade the spokes to DT competition at the rear and DT revolution at the front, but would upgrade the hubs to something decent... Even Dura Ace if you can afford them... But that's just me... Quality over weight, always!
    They would probably come at just over 500pounds... Maybe a touch more for the newest DA 9000... Of course if you are on Campagnolo you need to look at other hubs

Thanks I'm gonna call wheelsmith and speak to him about my options. I haven't bought the group yet but I am leaning towards record so yes I'd need to look at different hubs if that's the case.
    Cervelo r5
  • Dear All,

I have a set of FSA RD-600 with campagnolo freehub. I need a replacement freehub body for Shimano 10 speed. If anyone happens to have an old RD-600 with shimano freehub, I'd be happy to bargain.

Cheers,
    DanZi