Tailwind.

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
What are the chances of there being a tailwind on the way home?

Who's hoping (those heading north)?

Who is going to have to MTFU (heading south)?

And who is worried about getting blown into the gutter/oncoming traffic (heading east/west)?

I'm heading north, but doubt it will be a proper tail wind.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• I'll be blown into the Moray Firth but the wind has dropped (along with the temperature). You'll find a Higgs-Boson before you find a tailwind :roll: :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Unless I move house the chances are slim. Think my ride home might look a bit like this /
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • rubertoe
    Not exactly a tail wind but it definitely wasn't a head wind!
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    It always turns 180 degrees for me or is a nasty side wind, I have experienced a tail wind once or twice in years and years, it's eiree when it happens...
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    Boss tailwind tonight to compensate for the grinding headwind this morning. Fair flew home ;)
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Actually the ride home looked more like this / \ / \ / \ / :|
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • Flew into work this morning, but wind picked up for the headwind home - bejeezus I was knackered when I got in! It's the kind of wind that when a gust hits you at the wrong moment you all but stop on the spot.
  • Holy hell. :shock:

I've just checked my mates Endo-track for his commute home tonight. 14 miles in 1:30:00 :shock:

There are entire sections where he didn't get above 10mph. The wind was epic tonight and that poor bugger suffered big time.

(I was driving as I had a lot to bring into the office... and I checked the weather report)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Fup me! :shock: A23 Southbound there were moments I literally came to a standstill and a few times I shat it as the wind pushed me towards the path of following cars! I was glad I had my heavy laptop in the rucsack as ballast!
  • Yup - I felt like I was almost going backwards at a few points on the way home. Did have a very scary moment coming off Chelsea Bridge southbound - the wind picked me up from CS8 and blew me across to the middle of the road. Thankfully there was nothing coming either way...
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    A nice tailwind in places on the way to work and the wind had dropped and the rain had stopped for the journey home.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd have been better off with a boat and a set of sails tonight.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    nasty cross winds for me last night.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Coming in to land at Heathrow last night was a bit of a rollercoaster ride..and the drive back along the M4 was pretty breezy too. Got home to discover part of the car port roof had blown off :roll:
    Misguided Idealist
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I'm using a deep rim front wheel on my commuter at the moment (due to theft of my first choice wheels) and the cross winds are very good at over-riding whatever directional input I make at the handlebar.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    tailwinds are mythical, they dont exist
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • eede
    eede Posts: 58
    That bizarre feeling when you cycle at the same speed as a wind on your tail. All feels still yet the trees are thrashing around. Know it's gona hurt when I turn............
    Friend of Herne Hill Velodrome: http://www.hernehillvelodrome.com/friends/
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Has a mostly great tailwind last night - managed a 2nd place, and 8th place and a PR on some segments coming back home. But the morning ride was awful, it took me 4 minutes longer than it usually does.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Lassic
    Lassic Posts: 32
    Had a very gusty crosswind last night, got blew towards the curb a lot and it got quite scary.

I knew I was in trouble when I came to a near standstill coming off the third street!
  • tc345
    tc345 Posts: 98
    The commute took 10 mins longer than usual! I took the 'opportunity' to do some low cadence resistance training, really grinding it out which made a difference psychologically. Half of my route is fairly sheltered but whenever i came out of shelter BOOM and the speed dropped right down!

On this mornings extended ride in there was a tree to walk round and a few fords to get through, there was some proper 'weather' last night thats for sure.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    kelsen wrote:
    Fup me! :shock: A23 Southbound there were moments I literally came to a standstill and a few times I shat it as the wind pushed me towards the path of following cars! I was glad I had my heavy laptop in the rucsack as ballast!

E&C roundabout with the downdraft off the towers was interesting, but Mitcham to Hackbridge was the worst. Desperately tried to grab a tow from a passing van, but by that time there was too little left to jump on, so just had to plod on. As I turned into my road, the wind was suddenly behind me, and I started accelerating despite not turning the pedals :shock:

Piles of debris everywhere this morning, and legs of depleted uranium.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rubertoe
    God giveth and God taketh away.

• rubertoe wrote:
    God giveth and God taketh away.

:lol: You sir are in for a treat!

I shouldn't laugh. With my build I could get blown into the Thames.