Polishing Your Head Tube

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
...and the rest of your bike.

I know that this is recommended to avoid dirt adhering to your bike. The automotive world seems to be getting pretting excited by this product: ArmorAll Shield

http://www.a1motorstores.co.uk/catalogu ... clo17500en

Wondered if anyone had tried it or the wheel version on their bike as it seems to be very good (albeit still not very widely available)
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    edited November 2012
    sounds good

i just spray my bike with gt85, let it evaporate a bit then wipe off

it smells lovely an the crud doesnt seem to stick to it as easy
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Tried mer car polish with no luck. Dirt still as difficult to get off and seemed to add little protection. Best solution I've found is using copter tape in key areas to protect from dirt/stones etc... All the crud then just wipes off with a wet cloth.

http://www.3mselect.co.uk/p-2893-3m-hel ... AodbE8A_g&
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Was about to mention that I polish mine every morning before setting off and really feel it gives me an extra bit of speed... then realised this is the wrong thread. :oops:
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Me?

I place a nice clean cloth into my hand and in the centre I put a little bit of lube and degreaser. I find degreaser on its own is a little harsh. I then take the cloth and work it backwards and forwards, up and down all along the pole. For the hard to reach parts I give it a little anti-clockwise twist on the down stroke, that really buffs things out.

5 mins, job down, everything is shiny and I've worked up quite a sweat.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Dunno. Ask GF. She polishes mine. Not sure what she uses but no complaints thus far.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Don't muc off do a miracle shine thing, all to do with nano wax tech stuff. I use a simialr for the car, and you can apply it when its covered in dirt as well....
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Me?

I place a nice clean cloth into my hand and in the centre I put a little bit of lube and degreaser. I find degreaser on its own is a little harsh. I then take the cloth and work it backwards and forwards, up and down all along the pole. For the hard to reach parts I give it a little anti-clockwise twist on the down stroke, that really buffs things out.

5 mins, job down, everything is shiny and I've worked up quite a sweat.

A smooth action is essential for a really nice finish.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • Hmmm... anyone got a matt black carbon frame? How do you keep it free from smears/fingerprints/water marks?
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Hmmm... anyone got a matt black carbon frame? How do you keep it free from smears/fingerprints/water marks?

Same as above but no lube or degrease, I just use a softer cloth and I'm a bit more gentle with the down-twist stroke. In fact, I give it the GFE...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Well for all the advice to use mink boxing gloves and a left-handed technique, the stuff I bought comes in a spray can and you should try to leave it untouched overnight....

Anyhow, provided it doesn't freeze, tomorrow should be the perfect conditions to test it
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Mr Sheen - amazing stuff.

Good polish then its Autoglym Super Resin polish.
  • Really impressed with ArmorAll Shield results this morning - can see exactly the bits I missed :oops: Will post pics later
  • Here's a pic of the rear of the bike and it's been through all sorts of crap this morning (including, effectively, a dairy farmyard :shock: ). If you look carefully, you can see the middle of the rim where I missed a bit. I'm really impressed - the next question for me is how long it lasts between treatments - ArmorAll claim "up to" a month - we'll see

8219669371_ae0e3b2cac_z.jpg
  • That does look impressive (.. as the actress said to the bishop)

May have to give it a go. Thanks for the info - anything to keep the cleaning down to a minimum is a plus in my book.

Just had a thought though .. wonder what effect it has on rim brakes?
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • Just had a thought though .. wonder what effect it has on rim brakes?

Yup - I'm using discs but you might want to be careful with rim brakes. Certainly the frame and the transmission should be fine.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Hmmm... anyone got a matt black carbon frame? How do you keep it free from smears/fingerprints/water marks?

Yes, yes I have;
    fossyant wrote:
    Good polish then its Autoglym Super Resin polish.

With this.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.