Waterproof hip / bum bag?

Jim Newmark
Jim Newmark Posts: 151
edited November 2012 in Commuting general
I really didn't mind the rain yesterday - I am used to it and I have all the right stuff APART from the bum bag for the important easy access stuff (worn frontwards for both the recumbent and upright) . This ended up with a pool of water in the bottom with a phone that is only just recovering, a soggy mass of paper that was my essential list of things to do, and a wallet that spent all day at work drying on a radiator. Has anybody any ideas for a waterproof bum bag? Looking at http://www.ortlieb.co.uk/shoulder-travel/hippack-2.html - is that over the top? Anybody else use one? Any other recommendations?

Comments

• The Inov-8 range are waterproof. See my separate post in this section reviewing the 4lt version. Superb product.
  • I just use a one of the small rolltop waterproof bags e.g. http://www.ortlieb.co.uk/drybags/orange ... rybag.html in my commuters carradice bag. I know duck cotton is supposed to be waterproof, but it just makes carrying the essential tools, emergency jackets, wallet, phone etc easier. Just take the stuff sac out when I get to work. Also means it's easily transportable between different bike luggage as I use a racktop bag on bike 2 and a small rucksack on bike 3.

Looks like the smallest size is 1.5 litres.
  • The Inov-8 range are waterproof. See my separate post in this section reviewing the 4lt version. Superb product.
    THAT'S the one, thanks, just ordered from Wiggle. Thought I had got a bargain from Go-Outdoors from down the road at £14.99, but then realised the only store that had one in stock was 181 miles away. So £31.50 it is. What a waste of money my recent purchase of the Lowe Alpine Fjell Runner Bumbag was, half the price, full of styling, totally permeable to water.
  • I just use a one of the small rolltop waterproof bags e.g. http://www.ortlieb.co.uk/drybags/orange ... rybag.html in my commuters carradice bag. I know duck cotton is supposed to be waterproof, but it just makes carrying the essential tools, emergency jackets, wallet, phone etc easier. Just take the stuff sac out when I get to work. Also means it's easily transportable between different bike luggage as I use a racktop bag on bike 2 and a small rucksack on bike 3.

Looks like the smallest size is 1.5 litres.

My panniers are Carradice. The stuff inside remained dry, just, and that was with a constant stream of backwash from the front wheels of the Trice over 15miles, so they don't do so bad. But it is the convenience of a bum bag as well that I want
    THAT'S the one, thanks, just ordered from Wiggle. Thought I had got a bargain from Go-Outdoors from down the road at £14.99, but then realised the only store that had one in stock was 181 miles away. So £31.50 it is. What a waste of money my recent purchase of the Lowe Alpine Fjell Runner Bumbag was, half the price, full of styling, totally permeable to water.

Nice one Jim, I thought I had the same bargain from Go but ended up getting the Wiggle one for £31.50. Money well spent.

On the waterproofness, I've only had mine a week but in some pretty heavy rain, on a 12 mile commute, but my buddy has had his for three years and does a 35 mile commute and verifies that it's still water tight.