Change of bike

bwfc4eva868
bwfc4eva868 Posts: 717
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
Looking at changing my 2009 Carrera Vulcan for something different. Now I enjoy my Vulcan but I just find the riding positions a bit steep when the trail goes down hill. Now I was wondering if I would notice a difference in swapping it to a Carrera fury? Just want something a bit slacker as I feel like I'm going to go over the bars everytime I point my bike down a hill at Gisburn etc. Even with my arse off the the back.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The fury is basically the same frame with 120mm forks, so logic would be just to fit 120mm forks, you can also shorten the stem to move your weight back (which I think the Fury has as well), I agree that on 100's they can be a bit 'on the edge' going down, my Kraken (see link in sig which is a little out of date now) is now on an 80mm stem and I've also tweaked my forks to run 105mm travel and it's much more comfortable.

For less money than changing your bike you could get a pretty good set of forks!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I had this problem with my Kraken, and was forever struggling with roll ins and steps, and descents, leaving me a bit battered, a bit nervous, and a bit annoyed. I picked up some oversize rizer bars and an 80mm stem off a Lapierre at a good price, and the difference was huge! I mean absolutely huge. Transformed the bike and my riding style for the better - had to learn how to climb too.

My suggestion would be to scan eBay, classified on here and shops like merlin, CRC and wiggle for some new bars and a 70 or 80mm stem. Then when you see a pair of 120mm forks - RS Recons probably - check On One, get them and you'll have a new bike for all intent an purposes.

Cheaper too so gotta be good.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • What type of bars would you suggest? As its defo a cheaper option than buying a new bike. As I still feel I need to learn a lot more with my riding before I jump ship to a new bike.
  • What type of bars would you suggest? As its defo a cheaper option than buying a new bike. As I still feel I need to learn a lot more with my riding before I jump ship to a new bike.

It is massively cheaper - which is good. Well you can pick up a set of oversize bars (this is the norm now) from all the major retailers. Width wise, around 685mm or wider. There is some great stuff at Superstar components (free delivery/free Haribo) which come in a range of colours to suit your bike. These are the XC ones http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=533

Also I just got a new set of bars from On One which I love and they are half price at £15 again with choice of colours http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HBOOODH/on_ ... riser_bars . All these are riser bars which would be best for you I'd say - flat bars would be unnecessary.

You will also need to change your stem to an oversize (oversize is 31.8mm) otherwise the bars won't fit. But you can then get it in a length of 80mm or 70mm which will help your over the bar situation. Again, On One or Superstar will be a good choice at around £30. Look for XC over AM or DH unless you do All-Mountain or Downhill riding ;D

Also, even though the bar and stem is fatter, it's only the middle of the bars so all your brake lever, grips and shifter swap without issue!

Help it helps - I'm no expert, just passing on things ive found out and the help I've got from here

Paul
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374