Avid juicy 4 Rotor

Beansontoast
Beansontoast Posts: 75
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
People,

How the bloody hell are we?

Anyway, I need some advice.

I have Avid juicy 4 rotors on my Specialized Pitch Pro 2009.
Having stacked recently I may have to replace.

Question is, does anyone know what is compatible with these?

Looking around online I don't see references specifically to the juicy 4 rotor (203) so I am assuming there will be a compatible component.

My second option may be heat-treatment and a vice !

Advice appreciated.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just about any rotor will do just keep away from the ones with the separate alloy carrier.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Nice one.

Do I need one that is 203 mils?

As you can probably tell ........ not too handy on the old bike maintenance !
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes unless you want to change adaptors.

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/index.ph ... 712h8hdqi4
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I get it .....

Thanks for the info mate !
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Can recommend Superstar's floating rotors I've bought four pairs and two of them have gone on Juicy calipers.

The 160 is a tight fit the clearance between the studs holding the rotor to the spider and the caliper is less than a credit card thickness but the 180 and 203 share the same spider and fit with no issues. You may have to bend the tab on the inner pad away from the rotor slightly depending on how you've centred the calipers but otherwise no problems.

In terms of braking they are about the same as any other rotor but for me the big bonus is that they are totally silent and supremely smooth.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Smooth? I've never had a rotor be anything else? :?
  • njee20 wrote:
    Smooth? I've never had a rotor be anything else? :?

Ones with big cutouts (i.e. lightweight rotors) can vibrate or pulse through the lever.

Although if that happens, my personal feeling is that you should get another rotor - then again I'm not a weight weenie and tend to like solid things that work. Especially in the brake department.