edited November 2012 in MTB general
p4pb8918315.jpg
but we believe that it is enough to actually improve stability

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tioga-MT-Z ... -2012.html

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    WTF.

So much derp. We're talking a 10mm difference over normal pedals, not 10cm. Also people have seatposts that move.
  • also...
    - Weight: 480g/PR (actual)
    - MSRP: apprx $100 USD

Seriously. Why are companies trying so hard to make pedals a bit different when all they get are overpriced + heavier than competition.

Who is buying this crap?
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    The theory makes sense, but it is getting a little silly. Besides, if you're riding flats for XC, you're doing it wrong.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    also...
    - Weight: 480g/PR (actual)
    - MSRP: apprx $100 USD

Seriously. Why are companies trying so hard to make pedals a bit different when all they get are overpriced + heavier than competition.

Who is buying this crap?
    it is not new. been done twice before at least.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • why not solve the problem of having soles on your shoes, by riding barefoot?

or if you insist on funny pedals, why not have a pedal that hangs below the pedal axis for even more stability?

eh, tioga?
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    WTF.

So much derp. We're talking a 10mm difference over normal pedals, not 10cm. Also people have seatposts that move.

Actually, the theory is sound, as is the diagram - they do say it's exagerated for effect in the text. The difference a few mm can make in the kinematics and feel on full sus pivot points, or on fork rake, or a single degree on head angle is readily accepted - so why not this?

The real question is whether we feel the difference in roll sensitivty adds any value. I have to admit I'm sceptical here - I think it might be a 100 dollar solution to a nickel problem.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nasty loading on that bearing, bearing width (from inboard extreme to outboard extreme of all bearings) is tiny compared to a conventional pedals circa 2".......as seems to be indicated by the non existant life of the test sample.

Only a small increase in pedal width would be needed to have a stepped shaft with a small bearing at the outboard end for support, while retaining an over large inboard one.

SPD's of course are pretty good as the sole is effectively removed from the equation.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    No it isn't, far from it! The tread is taken out of the equation, but not the sole! I notice a big difference on my road bike when I swap from my S-Works shoes to my Northwave winter boots.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Are you ready Beginner I'm going to agree with you!
    I can't cope, I'm going for a lie down........
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.