Water bottle cage?

Mark909
Mark909 Posts: 456
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
I've never got on with water bottle cages. The bottle always seems to jump out on the trail from ones I've had in the past so I normally just carry a 2 litre bottle in my rucksack. However I'm doing an offroad event in the near future where I wont have time to stop and take a leisurely sip of water whilst having a rest. Is there anything out there that will hold a bottle securely? My other option is to just buy a bladder for my rucksack but I've never liked the taste you get from them! I sound really fussy now dont I! ;P

Comments

• Rubber bands.
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    Rubber bands.

Boy that was a quick response! Please explain?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Metal cages are good, you can bend them to make them tighter.

I use Mt Zoom ti ones, they're as light as carbon, don't scuff bottles as much, and as I say, you can bend them to have bottles as secure as you like. Never lost a bottle.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Camelbak, seeing as you are already carrying a rucksack. The taste goes after a short while, or just add some vodka.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A tiny dash of squash masks the taste, better quality bladders leach less 'taste' as well. I have a genuine camelback from an army surplus (so old) and it doesn't make a taste at all.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    The bladder in my Dakine never tastes funny, wash and rinse when I get in and straight in the freezer.

My old cheapo one sometimes tasted of plastic, a little, but that was never as bad as cow poo.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This is true. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Bottle/ CamelBak - Same thing really! Both plastic resevoirs...
    Can't say I've noticed any difference between the two (I use CamelBak Podium bottles).
    Cheap bottles can be a bit plasticky (sp) in their taste...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • I use a Clarks cage with a 710ml camelbak podium bottle which has a really firm grip on the bottle but is still easy to remove, very cheap and light as well so worth a poke if you use a podium. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=54415 . I think you can also get magnetised bottles and cages which I seem to remember reading about in a recent ish MBUK, can't remember what it was but think it was about £20 or £30 ish.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=54414 I have this and the only time I've ever lost a bottle was in a crash! I've been using it for well over a year now, and no problems.