External BB cups

TheCloud
TheCloud Posts: 42
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
Having trashed a couple of sets of Raceface bearings I'm on the hunt for replacements for both of my bikes, one is an old San Andreas DHS that I just use for uplifts, the other a Kona Explosif (fully rigid) that's used for xc/marathon. Up until now I've tried Shimano LX-utter tat, Truvativ (ok but then locked), and most recently a couple of Race Face x-types. In the XC bike they only lasted two enduros, a total of about 30 hrs muddy riding, maybe less. I use the same type in the DH bike (in case it needs to be robbed for spares at the last minute for a race) which seems to be ok so far but its not like it does the milage. I know the Raceface ones are rebuildable, but the annoying plastic cups break easily when you're trying to re-fit them. I know I should probably bite the bullet and fit Hope, but are there any other types that anyone's tried with good results? So far I've looked at Gussett and Funn which seem to get good reviews.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so have you have the BB shell faced?

get it done and then get any set of cups that work with whatever cranks you use.

and if shimano cranks do not over load the bearings.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    Plenty of ceramic units on ebay for less then £30, They come from the far east and take a week or two to arrive but in my experience even cheap ceramic BB's outlast the best stainless units. Or for a few quid more and next day delivery these are quality items, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aerozine-Cera ... 2576a91668
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    And as above make sure your BB shell is properly faced and whatever you do don't let any muc-off type cleaner near your bottom bracket.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • They're both faced. To be fair, I've never had much luck with bottom brackets of any type, even cartridge ones only lasted two months, but externals seem to be particularly short-lived.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Then you're doing something wrong. Seriously wrong.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Yeah that really doesn't sound right.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Overtightening murders BBs. Some more than others.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    cooldad wrote:
    Then you're doing something wrong. Seriously wrong.
    This. I've never had an issue with doing BBs up fairly tight, most of them have lasted at least 6 months or so for me.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • I had 6 fairly muddy months out of a SRAM unit. It was replaced with Hope, which is now getting on three years old and still on original bearings.

Also, you can swap the cartridge bearing units in many external BB cups.

YMMV.
  • As above, something sound like it's very wrong. I have a 16 year old Cannondale that's still running it's original bottom bracket (wasn't a particularly highly specced bike so I'd expect a shimano xt level for the time) that's done well over 20K miles with not problems.

In fact when I think about it I think I've only ever had a BB changed when I've changed cranks, and never had one fail on me on any of my bikes apart from a rockhopper 19 years ago (I probably shouldn't have said that...)

Do you powerwash your bike? use strong degreasers etc?
    Bikes:
    Cannondale Killer V 1995 (Promo model) - My first Race bike now converted to a commuter
    Lapierre X-Flow 712 - XC fs rocket
    Pivot Mach 6 - Enduro Machine
    Pinarello FP2 - Roadie
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    TheCloud wrote:
    They're both faced. To be fair, I've never had much luck with bottom brackets of any type, even cartridge ones only lasted two months, but externals seem to be particularly short-lived.
    is it that they appear to have been faced, or that you actually have had them faced?
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    I found Shimano didnt last too long with me - about 8 rides

Ive gone back to Hope. Cost more, but worth the outlay IMO.