I've got a clunk...... ?headset?

frankspencer1979
frankspencer1979 Posts: 525
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
The front end feels a bit loose and clunky over rough ground and on drops etc' (I.e. pretty much all the time.) I know it's not the front hub as I've got a new wheel set and they're solid, the QR is nice and tight, the brake caliper and disc are tight and the top cap is tight (but not too tight.)

There's no grinding/clicking when turning the bars, or detectable play if I "waggle"'the bars, just a clunk when going over stuff.

The headset is semi-integrated, I don't want to tackle servicing it myself, but is there owt else I should be checking before I go the LBS?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    hand over every joint and rock the bike with the brake on and feel for play.

and a bearing change would take you an hour. Me 5 mins. if the headset is a cheap one with out crtridge bearings yes you would need to replace the whole headset.

read park tools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm not in Nicks class but a complete semi headset should take no longer than 15 mins from rolling bike to rolling bike inc removing forks and swapping crown race.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.