first road ride with strava..

elderone
elderone Posts: 1,410
edited December 2012 in Road beginners
Went out for a first proper ride since accident and was a very tough ride as legs felt like lead very quickly.
Managed 21.9 miles over undulating terrain so happy with that even if pace was slower than used to be and effort was harder.
Now I used strava for the first time and it all seemed to work ok and upload fine,but i dont understand the data.
Says my highest climb was 96ft when on the graph there is obvious climbs of over 300ft,so what does that mean?
the rest of the ride is pretty much same as bike comp stats so can any one explain how the elevation and climbing works.Also graph shows no straight level bits which is also accurate on my route.
cheers.
http://app.strava.com/activities/28786591
Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori

Comments

• the accuracy is never the best. all depends on the phone gps used to collect data. even then its never truly great.
    good fun though Strava , got me addicted at the minute
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Altitude can be a bit dodgy with GPS but the rest of it (blips aside) is usually OK. Your graph seems to show a max height of over 600 feet though ? Not 96 feet ?

Nice place to cycle - I particularly like Ellesmere.
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    The biggest climb on any existing segment on your route is 96ft. Looks like there is some parts that go higher but these have no segments created.

If you use Explore in Strava you can see other segments around your location or where you want to ride, you can also create new segments.
    Cheers, Stu
  • elderone
    edited November 2012
    duckson wrote:
    The biggest climb on any existing segment on your route is 96ft. Looks like there is some parts that go higher but these have no segments created.

If you use Explore in Strava you can see other segments around your location or where you want to ride, you can also create new segments.
    thats makes sense now,but the highest climb on the graph is about 320 ft but its a long climb.
    how do i create segments for that route then.
    cheers
    Ok now found it on utube...
  • elderone
    tks for replies guys,the gps is not far off as my house sits at 600ft and strava was pretty much ok on that.
    Ellesmere is nice,i ride there sometimes as its a good 20 odd mile round trip from here.
  • elderone wrote:
    Says my highest climb was 96ft when on the graph there is obvious climbs of over 300ft,so what does that mean?

It means GPS altitudes should be ignored :lol:
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • FlacVest
    FlacVest Posts: 100
    I've found that sometimes, immediate gps data was wrong, but it updates itself later on, giving the correct value within 30 minutes.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Strava altitudes never work very well - almost seem to work on pressure variations - all my circular early am rides come out as net downhill
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2