Fitting a groupset question

nick_1978
nick_1978 Posts: 34
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I'm after some advice, I have a frame that I'd like to fit a Shimano SLX or Deore groupset to.
However, I'm a bit confused as to what I actually need to get with regards to the chain line...
If I put a Shimano 9 speed cassette on the rear, what bottom bracket size do I need?

I am assuming my rear dropout width is 135mm, I'm pretty sure it is but I'll check.
If I put a Shimano triple chainset on the front, what length BB do I need, or will they be a standard size?

Also, do I need a specific 9 speed shadow cassette & chain for the SLX Shadow rear mech?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    If its a new SLX set, no need to worry on BB. All one size fits all now. As for cassette and chain, any will do as long as its nine speed (SRAM or Shimano, or KMC chain). However it will be cheaper to buy a full groupo than mix and match.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it all depends on the cranks.

if HT2 just buy then. get the BB shell faced if it has not been done. and then fit as per the instructions.

and nope as long as it is the correct speed for the shifters and shimano it will be fine.

have a read of Parktools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    If you buy a current SLX or Deore chainset then there aren't different bottom bracket axle lengths. The cranks are Hollowtech II so the axle is part of the crank and you use spacers to match it to your frame.

EDIT - too slow, twice!