leaking brakes on giant xtc help plz

bike junkie67
bike junkie67 Posts: 15
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
hi just brought a used 07 giant xtc mountain bike. dont know hardly anything about the brakes the make on them is nine. now the chap i brought it off said it has stood 12mths in his garage and when you press the brake lecer it seepss fluid out of a very small hole in the front plate fitted to levers which is retained by 2 small screws. also no brake is present. what do you think problem is.plz. this is the same on both sides.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    hi just brought a used 07 giant xtc mountain bike. dont know hardly anything about the brakes the make on them is nine. now the chap i brought it off said it has stood 12mths in his garage and when you press the brake lecer it seepss fluid out of a very small hole in the front plate fitted to levers which is retained by 2 small screws. also no brake is present. what do you think problem is.plz. this is the same on both sides.
    what make are the brakes?

if you dont know sort out a picture.
    what do you mean by
    also no brake is present
    it is not fitted? there are no pads fitted? the lever is spongy?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I suspect English isn't the OPs first language, I 'think' he means the brakes don't slow the bike.

I also suspect they are hayes Nine which were a common fitment on mid range Giants for a while...but we need clarification.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    I suspect English isn't the OPs first language, I 'think' he means the brakes don't slow the bike.

I also suspect they are hayes Nine which were a common fitment on mid range Giants for a while...but we need clarification.
    as were Avids.

and if English is not the OPs first language then there is also a high chance the bike will be specced differently to a UK spec bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • HI I MEAN NO BRAKES AT ALL.BUT IVE JUST HAD A LOOK AND TAKEN THE RESAVOIR CAP OFF RETAINED BY 2 SCREWS AND FOUND A SMALL HOLE THAT GOES THROUGH THE CAP WITH A RUBBER INSERTED .BUT THERE IS A HOLE THROUGH THE RUBBER WHICH LEADS INTO THE RESAVOIR THIS IS WERE THE FLUID LEAKES OUT WHEN I PULL THE BRAKE LEVER. ONLY NAME I SEE ON BRAKES IS NINE,
  • nicklouse
    what does that say?

try turning off the Caps lock.
  • nicklouse
    so Hayes Nines.

28846.jpg
    Hi i mean no brakes at all.but ive just had a look and taken the resavoir cap off retained by 2 screws and found a small hole that goes through the cap with a rubber inserted .but there is a hole through the rubber which leads into the resavoir this is were the fluid leakes out when i pull the brake lever. Only name i see on brakes is nine,
    sounds like you need a service kit and a bleed kit.
    the diaphram should not have a hole in it.
  • hi mine is the top 1 with the brake lever. when i take the lid off brake resovoir the diaphram stays in situ. but there is a very small rubber fitted in the lid with a very small hole running through it .as if it should have a plug to fit in the hole.
  • The Rookie
    The metal lid should have a breather hole in it, the rubber diaphragm should not, for fluid to be leaking out the hole in the metal the diaphragm is almost certainly leaking.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • hi can you buy the diaphram if so were as i have been trying to locate one and cant find nothing only the whole unit.
  • ok guys all sorted. i bleed the brakes and the hole in the diaphram which fits into the lid i cut of a smallpiece of stalk from a pop rivet and pushed it in the hole job done. oh the bike shop said looks like you will have to buy the whole brake set up. yeah.sure.
  • The Rookie
    If the breather can't breathe the brakes won't self adjust, so either that stalk is ruining the brakes by not allowing that or it's not sealing and won't stop the leak - all round a BAD idea.
  • nicklouse
    ok guys all sorted. i bleed the brakes and the hole in the diaphram which fits into the lid i cut of a smallpiece of stalk from a pop rivet and pushed it in the hole job done. oh the bike shop said looks like you will have to buy the whole brake set up. yeah.sure.
    expect your brakes to stop working soon.

Hope you dont need them urgently.