Finally back on the bike

NGale
NGale Posts: 1,866
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
After an incident involving my bike and a Jack Russell a number of months ago I am finally back on my bike!

My Trek is still in the shed awaiting repair (need a job to be able to afford the possible cost), however I invested a grand total of £40 on a second hand Diamond Back Parkway bike off of Gumtree.

Yes it's an old hack, it's a bit heavy and doesn't exactly exccellerte at a decent pace but it'll do!

On Monday I easily managed 16 mile round trip (OK no hills, but lets not push it too far!) so I'm looking forward to the next outing on Friday down to Exmouth and back :D
Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,350
    Excellent! And 16 miles is very respectable on a hack :) Well done
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • NGale
    pangolin wrote:
    Excellent! And 16 miles is very respectable on a hack :) Well done

can't wait to get the Trek back on the road for the summer though. I feel winter hibernation is required in the meantime though and the hack can take a battering for a while.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    ahh well done

whats up with you t'other bike?

someone on here might have something in their spares bin to help?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Well done !

Aye what's needed for the Trek
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,391
    Pleased to hear it. It's hard work after a long break.
    After a mere 7 weeks off and then riding a knobbly tyred mountain bike on Monday you have my sympathy. My knee is now clonking really badly and I'm limping. I considered this a sign that I shouldn't ride to work in the wind and the rain today so got a lift. Anybody got any spare MTFU?
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I can send you some in about 30 minutes :)

Well done for getting back on the bike NGale.
  • sassse
    sassse Posts: 64
    Good to see you back and riding.

to start with just enjoy being able to ride again.

I was 9 months off the bike after a dog related broken leg... 12 months before the surgeon was happy for me to ride with no restrictions, and it is damn hard work to get the fitness back, to begin with just enjoy being able to ride...a nd things will start to improve.... I am now 16 months post break and starting to feel like I might actually be abel to call myself a cyclist again soon.
  • NGale
    mudcow007 wrote:
    ahh well done

not actually sure what the problem is. at the moment the front wheel is running out of true to the point where I can't have the front brake blocks on because it rubs them at a point. Hopefully the wheel isn't buckled, but I need to get it checked in case
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    NGale wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    ahh well done

not actually sure what the problem is. at the moment the front wheel is running out of true to the point where I can't have the front brake blocks on because it rubs them at a point. Hopefully the wheel isn't buckled, but I need to get it checked in case

just sounds like a buckle/ untrue, shoudl be easy peasy to get sorted

lbs charge me £15 to sort my last one
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • NGale
    mudcow007 wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    ahh well done

just sounds like a buckle/ untrue, shoudl be easy peasy to get sorted

lbs charge me £15 to sort my last one

hopefully it won't cost too much to sort out. alas being unemployed at the moment it's money I don't have. at least I have some transport at the moment though
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Is it worth having a stab yourself? Tyre tube & rim tape off, drop it back onto the upturned bike then slacken & tighten the relevant spokes as appropriate. Go gently, keep checking and as long as it doesn't go oval you'll probably get it to be ridable for about £0.00.
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MzPCze0nTk

I use the brakes blocks - the only thing to remember is that the cassette side needs twice as many turns as the other.

Plus do it in 1/2 turns on the non-cassette side. I've straightened every wheel i've had problems with this way.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    NGale wrote:

not actually sure what the problem is. at the moment the front wheelis running out of true to the point where I can't have the front brake blocks on because it rubs them at a point. Hopefully the wheel isn't buckled, but I need to get it checked in case
    ....cassette side.....
  • PBo wrote:
    NGale wrote:

not actually sure what the problem is. at the moment the front wheelis running out of true to the point where I can't have the front brake blocks on because it rubs them at a point. Hopefully the wheel isn't buckled, but I need to get it checked in case
    ....cassette side.....

Someone from Derbyshire was making a generic statement in case someone decided to check both wheels. So nuh.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • CiB
    the only thing to remember is that the cassette side needs twice as many turns as the other.
    I had a sleepless night with this one y'know. Why would it need twice as many turns? I'd go for tightening or slackening spokes on either side as necessary a bit a time until the rim is as close to true as I can get it, not counting turns. Have I missed something?

</numpty>
  • CiB wrote:
    the only thing to remember is that the cassette side needs twice as many turns as the other.
    I had a sleepless night with this one y'know. Why would it need twice as many turns? I'd go for tightening or slackening spokes on either side as necessary a bit a time until the rim is as close to true as I can get it, not counting turns. Have I missed something?

</numpty>

Take a look at the cassette side spokes and then look at the non-cassette side. Compare the angles of the spokes and you'll see the cassette side are more vertical.

They need more turns for the same lateral movement as the sine of the angle is lower for the cassette side. This means that when you are counting turns (as you should when slackening first then tightening) you are using a consistent measure.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • CiB
    Aah. Luckily I can't count so just go by feel. Thanks for the explanation.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Anybody got any spare MTFU?

No but I have a 'Suck it up, Princess' lying about if that helps...
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.