waterproof help

andyh01
andyh01 Posts: 599
edited December 2012 in Commuting general
Hi all

I've been commuting year round for past 4urs it's a short commute 5 miles I've recently upgraded to a decent road bike Trek 2.1 without guards.

I've previously just used non specific cycling clothes/gear I have a long sleeve bright green cycle top and a windproof/water repelant jacket but today I've had enough of getting saturated especially legs and feet and having to put wet leggings back on. I have a couple pairs of lycra jogging leggings that are skin tight I have a winter version of these too ie a bit thicker but still not waterproof I wear normal trainers in minds to upgfrade to clipless and then over shoes so don't want get overshoes at mo as might brake trying to stretch over normal trainers.
Thought about waterproof socks but sem expensive esp if going to eventually get overshoes.

What's a decent pair of water proof trousers and socks on a budfget I'vbe seen the DHBs and wondered what they are like, I am right inthinking you just wear these and they arn't over trousers, I tried some wanterproof over trousers that I have but they didn't kleep me dry and rather uncomfortable as well as getting too hot.

Any recommendations on dry warm winter leggings, tops socks?
Thanls

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    sports direct sell waterproof golfing trousers (dunlop)

at less than £10 a pair they are almost disposable, but sweaty

I use them and and a old set of snowboarding trousers, depends on temp and the like
  • Unfortunately in the world of waterproof clothing you do tend to get what you pay for.
    I think it really depends on:

A : Whats your budget?
    B : Length of commute?
    C : Do you have somewhere to dry your stuff at work?

I think for a short 5 mile commute you cant go wrong with cheep set of roubaix bib longs (DHB/Planet X/PBK), light waterproof jacket and over shoes. My commute is about 9 mile and if the weather is really cold and wet I just layer up and wear my waterproof Endura superlite shorts. I have yet to find the perfect overshoe that keeps your feet completely dry but most keep them toastie. Then again so would a bin bag

hampshire-bags_1554297i.jpg

Winter bike :- Trek Soho
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/58472678@N08/5361685962/
    Summer bike :- Boardman Team Carbon
    http://flic.kr/p/9bAgrw
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    A : Whats your budget? Something decent as you say get what you pay for rather buy once then cheap and replace bvut as min as possible!
    B : Length of commute? 5 mile each way
    C : Do you have somewhere to dry your stuff at work? Yes, I currently bring in trousers/shirt and towel on Monday leave there Tuesday fesh shirt Wednesday & Fridays work in an office so change shirt every other day as clean and shower at work too fresh undies every day.I commute in a different set clotrhs to which I wear at work it just annoying me now putting cold wet clothes back on to cycle home in as although storage place not very warm so don't dry quickly
  • I do as you do by wearing different clothes at work than on the bike, but I go one step further - I leave an entire spare set of clothes at work JUST for the very very occasional day where i get drenched and have nothing dry to wear home. In the last 6 months or so, I have actually only needed them once - but it was a godsend!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I think the question was, DO YOU HAVE ANYWHERE TO DRY YOUR CYCLING CLOTHES AT WORK?

If yes then you only need one set of good kit and dry it as you go; Today was a good example of this, me and the guy who shares desk space with me and a couple of others in the office had cycling gear strewn about the office on various radiators. Shoes, Jackets, Buffs, Gloves, Overshoes, Bib tights. you name it, it was on there.

It is polite to ask though; if not carry extra kit or leave it at work.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Hi, I just wanted to share my experience of waterproofs, I agree that with so much choice it's hard to choose.

Last winter was my first daily cycling winter and to be honest it was surprisingly dry and I don't remember getting wet often. I got my waterproofs on a budget from Sports Direct, Muddy Fox. 3 immediately returned jackets due to zip fail then finally zip went after 3 months, was sweaty and not waterproof and the pants did 3 outings and ripped.

This winter I decided to up my budget, and then spent twice that. I got an Altura Evo Nightvision jacket in red £75 and Altura Nightvision black over pants £45, Altura waterproof gloves £20 with liners so like 3 pairs. All seem goody quality, and sturdy so far, the over pants are sweaty but I don't think there is a total solution for that, somebody once told me it's a compromise between breathing and waterproof and the legs get soaked from both sides by either sweat or rain anyway. I use a thin pair of cheap jogging pants over my Lycra shorts as a sweat buffer and it helps a bit.

So far I have kept totally dry apart from my feet. Next purchase is to waterproof them.
    FCN=10 Carrera Subway II with touring kit = rack, 2x Panniers and a bottle.
    No car, just a bike for everything 100+ miles / week. Commute daily Chorlton-Manchester or Chorlton-Horwich
  • jthef
    jthef Posts: 226
    For me it not keeping dry it's keeping warm.
    some wind proof stuff is good in cool conditions and will keep you warm in a bit of rain.
    I use bib long in winter and the water replent one are good as you may be wet but you feel warm and dry.

and yea I have a water proof jacket foldaway (which I have in the bottom of my bag) for incase it is realy heavy rain.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    jthef wrote:
    For me it not keeping dry it's keeping warm.
    some wind proof stuff is good in cool conditions and will keep you warm in a bit of rain.
    I use bib long in winter and the water replent one are good as you may be wet but you feel warm and dry.

and yea I have a water proof jacket foldaway (which I have in the bottom of my bag) for incase it is realy heavy rain.

This is true for the vast majority of the time.

Thin windproofs (pertex) are a lot more comfortable than waterproofs when it isn't raining and dry really quickly - mine have dried in the last 3-miles of my commute before now.

I do have proper waterproofs as well though.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Montane do some nice waterproof over-trousers with a good cut for cycling, long leg zips and elasticated ankles. I couldn't find these features on any other brands.
    I bought the pertex version but it is not at all waterproof so I got the breathable waterproof one as well. It is pretty good for colder conditions.
    To protect your feet from runoff, you need to drape the overtrousers over your boots or foot waterproofing. There really isnt a good solution on the market. I use Sealskinz which are warm and waterproof but my footwear gets soggy.
    Clipless users often use neoprene over-booties which are an extra thing to fit, fine for dedicated training and longer rides but a PITA for shorter rides. I have looked high and low for lightweight, waterproof, unpadded, high-ankle boots, basically a trail shoe with a built-in gaiter.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    MichaelW wrote:
    Montane do some nice waterproof over-trousers with a good cut for cycling, long leg zips and elasticated ankles. I couldn't find these features on any other brands.
    I bought the pertex version but it is not at all waterproof so I got the breathable waterproof one as well. It is pretty good for colder conditions.
    To protect your feet from runoff, you need to drape the overtrousers over your boots or foot waterproofing. There really isnt a good solution on the market. I use Sealskinz which are warm and waterproof but my footwear gets soggy.
    Clipless users often use neoprene over-booties which are an extra thing to fit, fine for dedicated training and longer rides but a PITA for shorter rides. I have looked high and low for lightweight, waterproof, unpadded, high-ankle boots, basically a trail shoe with a built-in gaiter.

There are other brands of overtrousers, but do like montane - I have Marmot Precip trousers, which tick most of the boxes, but with less reflectivity unfortunately. As for the water dripping issue, you can buy short gaiters that work with trainers for example (I have some cheap Berghaus ones). I currently tend to go for Lusso neoprene overshoes, which have a velcro attachment so are quite easy, to put on and take off, although they only slow down the rate of water ingress.
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    tallmansix wrote:
    Hi, I just wanted to share my experience of waterproofs, I agree that with so much choice it's hard to choose.

Last winter was my first daily cycling winter and to be honest it was surprisingly dry and I don't remember getting wet often. I got my waterproofs on a budget from Sports Direct, Muddy Fox. 3 immediately returned jackets due to zip fail then finally zip went after 3 months, was sweaty and not waterproof and the pants did 3 outings and ripped. This winter I decided to up my budget, and then spent twice that. I got an Altura Evo Nightvision jacket in red £75 and Altura Nightvision black over pants £45, Altura waterproof gloves £20 with liners so like 3 pairs. All seem goody quality, and sturdy so far, the over pants are sweaty but I don't think there is a total solution for that, somebody once told me it's a compromise between breathing and waterproof and the legs get soaked from both sides by either sweat or rain anyway. I use a thin pair of cheap jogging pants over my Lycra shorts as a sweat buffer and it helps a bit.

So far I have kept totally dry apart from my feet. Next purchase is to waterproof them.

I've got a Muddy Fox jacket and it's crap! One rainy trip from work, I put my phone in the front pocket, got home and that's when I realised it's not waterproof! Good job I had it in my Wiggle phone cover.
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8