tyre choice

Bigun6767
Bigun6767 Posts: 81
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
Can anyone recommend a tyre for riding at cannock chase (the dog and the monkey).I have contis, rubber queen and baron but always seem to have trouble with the surface on the dog for some reason?Any recommendations?

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    The pebbles and sand can be tricky at the best of times but my current favourites are Maxxis Advantage.

Have also used Ardents when it's a bit drier and I understand Schwalbe Hans Dampf are pretty good. The grip-at-all-costs soft compounds from Maxxis (42a) and Schwalbe (Vertstar) are also most excellent but hard work on the mellow pedally sections

Would go for something with a shallow but widely-spaced tread on the front and pretty much anything on the back. There's mud of course but it's watery and patchy no real need for a draggy rear tyre.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    .blitz wrote:
    There's mud of course and lots of it.

FTFY, at least thats how I remember the dog/monkey. Not been for a while now but seemed to have the most horrible conditions of any trail centre I've been. It was almost like a jelly type mud, which kind of floated around as you rode on it. Hopefully its improved now?
    Minions and high rollers were of no use on it. (for me anyway)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A Freind just tried Maxxis Beavers (which the recent MBUK review rated well on roots and rocks) and said they were really good at Cannock.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    DodgeT wrote:
    It was almost like a jelly type mud, which kind of floated around as you rode on it.
    Yup that's it :)