Ride London 100

baldwin471
baldwin471 Posts: 366
edited January 2013 in The cake stop
Anyone signed up yet? Got an email from BC this morning and just signed up. Hopefully i make it through the ballot.

Comments

• stealf
    stealf Posts: 49
    Yes I signed up through work, in aid of G O S H, so hopefully they will bump me into the successful riders, it looks too good to miss, closed roads on the olypmic route..... Oh yes, allez allez
    A bicycle ride is a flight from sadness.
    James E. Starrs

Current Bikes
    1999 Trek 6000 still looking mint
    2007Spesh StumpJumper FSR Elite
    2012 Sabbath September - Ooohhhh is that Titanium?
  • stealf wrote:
    Yes I signed up through work, in aid of G O S H, so hopefully they will bump me into the successful riders, it looks too good to miss, closed roads on the olypmic route..... Oh yes, allez allez

Yeah i signed up for WWF. Yeah route looks great.
  • As far as I’m aware it's not a special BC side door into the ballot. It's just a link to the standard registration process. From memory there’s a section where you can add your BC membership number and there’s also a section where you can add your club if applicable – not sure if this gives you any special privilege. I did read though that if you sign up to raise money for charity you stand more of a chance of getting a place. This could be bull though (but I did it anyway ;-)).
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    how about not publicising it any more so i have a better chance in the ballot :)

I just went for the regular entry and didnt put down for the charity entry because there are so few details about what it entails - wouldnt want to get a charity place and then find out i have to raise £1000 in donations
  • As I didn't want to miss this one, decided I would go the charity route.

My son and i have already been notified that we have a confirmed place, I think we were told a couple of months ago. We are riding for the charity Shelter and you have to raise £750 by Sept. 2013.

Looking forward to the whole event, I think it will be a great day out.
  • bianchibob wrote:
    As I didn't want to miss this one, decided I would go the charity route.

My son and i have already been notified that we have a confirmed place, I think we were told a couple of months ago. We are riding for the charity Shelter and you have to raise £750 by Sept. 2013.

Really? They say the ballot is in January and you will be notified in Feb. £750?! bloody hell that might be tricky.
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    I've entered both on the main website, and through a charity, so hopefully I'll get a place either way.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • baldwin471 wrote:
    bianchibob wrote:
    As I didn't want to miss this one, decided I would go the charity route.

Really? They say the ballot is in January and you will be notified in Feb. £750?! bloody hell that might be tricky.

Not really, I own my own company and will ask all my suppliers to contribute, its for a good cause, so I don't foresee any major issues. Will start a publicity campaign after Christmas...perhaps you would like to make a donation...say £5 to start with !!
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    From what I understand there are 20,000 places which will be decided by ballot when 75,000 entries have been registered or no later than 4 Jan 2013. Starting positions will be seeded so they ask you about your previous experience so they put you in an appropriate position for the start.

Certain charities such as Shelter, Cancer Research UK etc have been given a number of guaranteed placed. You can apply directly to the charity for one of these, but the entry rules will vary depending on the charity you choose.

The entry price is £45 IIRC which you promise to pay on registration, but no payment info or deposit is taken so if you change your mind later I don't see what they can do. To confuse matters, on entry you can "donate" your unsuccessful entry to charity - if you choose to do this they take your £45 now. If you are successful in the ballot and get a place the £45 goes to them, if you are not successful then they give the money to charity on your behalf - it does not guarantee a place.

I registered months ago :D
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Is it definitely closed roads for the whole route or just parts of London?

I've signed up already but when reading the website it states:

"Lead out the greats when you take on a cycling challenge like no other through the closed roads of London and the Surrey Hills next summer."

"RideLondon100 will start in the new Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, then follow the closed roads through the capital and onto Surrey’s stunning country roads and hills. "

These statements can be read as the closed roads in both London and Surrey or clever marketing spin of the closed roads of London and normal roads of Surrey.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    With 20,000 riding it's going to be one hell of a registration process and staggered start? Could be an early evening finish for some. Not predicting a shambles but....
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • izza wrote:
    Is it definitely closed roads for the whole route or just parts of London?

I've signed up already but when reading the website it states:

"Lead out the greats when you take on a cycling challenge like no other through the closed roads of London and the Surrey Hills next summer."

"RideLondon100 will start in the new Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, then follow the closed roads through the capital and onto Surrey’s stunning country roads and hills. "

These statements can be read as the closed roads in both London and Surrey or clever marketing spin of the closed roads of London and normal roads of Surrey.

Hopefully it's close roads. Does it say what time it starts? If it's 8/9am then surrey shouldn't be too bad but if it's later the traffic could be a problem.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    baldwin471 wrote:
    Hopefully it's close roads. Does it say what time it starts? If it's 8/9am then surrey shouldn't be too bad but if it's later the traffic could be a problem.

the starting waves are between 6 - 8 am
  • The Pro road race is straight after it so I reckon the broom wagon will be out in force. I wouldn’t want to register for an estimated slow time, chances are you’d get removed from the course.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    The Pro road race is straight after it so I reckon the broom wagon will be out in force. I wouldn’t want to register for an estimated slow time, chances are you’d get removed from the course.
    Straight after it yes, but later in the afternoon because it's on TV. I've said 6 hours as an estimate.

I commented elsewhere that it's hardly "legacy" if they exclude anyone who can't do it in 5 hours (i.e. 20mph avg, and probably no chainganging). We'll see though...
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • I've gone for a sub 5hr time. If the only 'major' climb is going to be legendary leg breaking Alpe d'Box Hill it should be doable ;-)
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    baldwin471 wrote:

2500 riders every 15 mins!!
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Carl_P wrote:
    baldwin471 wrote:

2500 riders every 15 mins!!
    Nearly three per second, for two hours? Never going to happen.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    On the entry form it said you have to be able to do it in 9hrs or less.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • I contacted WWF directly and they've guaranteed me a place which is nice. I put down estimated time 6:30 hours. But that's based on current fitness. I hope to be much fitter at when it comes around and i reckon if i work hard that <5:00 hours isn't impossible.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I got an email from Cancer Research UK yesterday saying I had one of their places, but if I was also successful in the general ballot to let them know and they could give it to someone else. So I'll be there :)
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    The Pro road race is straight after it so I reckon the broom wagon will be out in force. I wouldn’t want to register for an estimated slow time, chances are you’d get removed from the course.

Getting removed mid course would be annoying if you've just paid some charity £750 to do the London100.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby