Quick Hub question

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Just in the process of getting some wheels built up for my CX bike, It currently has Shimano FH-505 (non series components) hubs and I want to know if I can use Shim XT hubs in there place? ie will the fit size wise?.

Thanks
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• Measure the OLD of your frame and forks and check it is the same for the hubs.

That said you can generally remove a spacer on the xt hub axle to adjust the old to match your frame.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Measure the OLD of your frame and forks and check it is the same for the hubs.

That said you can generally remove a spacer on the xt hub axle to adjust the old to match your frame.

OLD?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Over locknut dimension - the width of your axle.

The Tech Docs here, confirm that it's 135mm (as opposed to 130 for road/non disc hubs), so yes, you can use an XT, or a Pro 2 or whatever you fancy.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    rubertoe wrote:
    Just in the process of getting some wheels built up for my CX bike, It currently has Shimano FH-505 (non series components) hubs and I want to know if I can use Shim XT hubs in there place? ie will the fit size wise?.

Thanks
    as the width is the same then there is no issue.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown