Time Trailing

2»

Comments

• Paul 8v wrote:
    That is bloody funny though

Here's Riis doing much the same thing in a TT...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFzteK_y1b4
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
  • So have I got this right, the best thing about a TT is when someone does it badly?
  • So have I got this right, the best thing about a TT is when someone does it badly?

Noooo......just cant help think of some funny moments
  • Tho personally I still think this is a real highlight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIW1MAvyPD4

But that's a road stage?

Feck, so it was. I muddled up Wiggo's TT moment in the 09 Worlds
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVBoPY6wfrc
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    So have I got this right, the best thing about a TT is when someone does it badly?
    When they do it as badly as Rasmussen did that one time, then yes, it is clearly the best thing about TTs. Just as the best things in football are comedy own goals and the referee falling over.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    A TT at the end of a stage race when the time gaps are pretty close can be interesting, 1989 being the best example of course, but you could also cite the 08 Tour, when everybody expected Evans to overhaul Sastre, or the final, uphill TT is Paris-Nice this year when it looked for a while like Westra might overhaul Wiggins.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    But again inky - all you need to watch of that is the last 5 mins....

(can't see the vids at work...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    ddraver wrote:

You could say the same about 75% of road stages.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • ddraver
    well yes....
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:

You could say the same about 75% of road stages.

Trouble with TT stages now is the GPS time checks. You pretty much know who's going to win well before the race has ended. You can't say that for 75% of road stages!
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Like them or hate them TTs and TTTs are a part of Grand Tours, and rightly so. The climbers, in general, hate them, just as most of the sprinters hate the mountains. Generally, the best overall rider wins. Nowt wrong with that.
    If you want to be a great cyclist you have to work on the disciplines you are not so good at, just as Mr Wiggins worked hard on loosing weight and improving his climbing.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    When people dismiss TT's as dull/boring etc they should remember that they don't amount to much in terms of overall time in a GT yet usually have a massive impact on the GC.
    Why is that? Because it's the purest expression, over a given course, of how fast a human being can propel that strange machine that we're all mad about...
    When people dismiss TT's as dull/boring etc
    They should buy a Stop Watch
    I've been to many Tours and with a stop watch & start sheet (Local paper etc) I keep a record which with other spectators increase the interest and enjoyment by knowing what is going on.

You want boring then try being a "Lead Car" in a road race with one rider (maybe two) with 5 or 10 minute lead all the way to the finish.
    Mind you that job is better if there is a reserve car you can call and you stop until the next bunch appears.
    Then you see the race proper.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • mike6 wrote:
    Like them or hate them TTs and TTTs are a part of Grand Tours, and rightly so. The climbers, in general, hate them, just as most of the sprinters hate the mountains. Generally, the best overall rider wins. Nowt wrong with that.
    If you want to be a great cyclist you have to work on the disciplines you are not so good at, just as Mr Wiggins worked hard on loosing weight and improving his climbing.

Hmmm... no one appears to have beaten this into the heads of Frandy
  • Hmmm... no one appears to have beaten this into the heads of Frandy

In fairness to them, they do put a fair bit of effort into it as was shown on the Andy Schleck documentary that was on the other day. Trouble is, so is everyone else. What more can they do? They are not the first and won't be the last riders who are quite good at climbing and not very good at time trailing.
  • Hmmm... no one appears to have beaten this into the heads of Frandy

In fairness to them, they do put a fair bit of effort into it as was shown on the Andy Schleck documentary that was on the other day. Trouble is, so is everyone else. What more can they do? They are not the first and won't be the last riders who are quite good at climbing and not very good at time trailing.

Interesting...maybe I should take a look at the doco. I remember an interview a few months ago with a coach/former coach who expressed frustration that both Schlecks just wouldnt put in the training hours on their TT bikes.
  • Interesting...maybe I should take a look at the doco. I remember an interview a few months ago with a coach/former coach who expressed frustration that both Schlecks just wouldnt put in the training hours on their TT bikes.

That's interesting as well. But I think the point I'm really making is that we have seen it so many times before. Climber shows up at the Tour, blows everyone away with their climbing but doesn't win the race because they can't TT. They then spend the rest of their career trying to improve their ability against the clock, but in the process lossing their ability to ride a bike up a climb.
  • ddraver
    edited November 2012
    You do - You at least need to appreciate that it is unlikely that everyone in the rest of the world knows that TTing is important to win GT's except the Schlecks and that all they need to do is drop the bars a bit more...
    - @ddraver
  • Oh and there is this great bit in that documentary where Andy is doing TT testing on the track and they compare his weight to Frank's. "I'm not fat" he says...
  • ddraver wrote:
    ...they need to do is drop the bars a bit more...

It's not that simple though is it. That's like saying you just lose some weight, bingo! Your a climber.
  • Talking of climbers working on their TTing, Purito has made astounding improvements this year. Sure, the Vuelta TT's parcours helped him, but it was still an impressive ride - as was his Giro TT on the final day.
  • Talking of climbers working on their TTing, Purito has made astounding improvements this year. Sure, the Vuelta TT's parcours helped him, but it was still an impressive ride - as was his Giro TT on the final day.

Good point. Not saying that a climber can't improve, just that it shouldn't be that much of a surprise when they don't.
  • ddraver
    edited November 2012
    ddraver wrote:

It's not that simple though is it. That's like saying you just lose some weight, bingo! Your a climber.

That was my point, yes...(but my "a" key appears to be on the fritz...)
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

That was my point, yes...

What, that it's not that simple? :wink:
  • ddraver
    Yip..
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Yip..

Really? What, someone agrees with me? Wow, good day for me today!