DHB VAEON REFLEX Beware

hsiaolc
hsiaolc Posts: 492
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
After trying this winter bib for the first time after one trip commute it has caused me serious pain around the padding area. So Painful in fact I thought I couldn't get back home at one stage.

Upon careful inspection by running the finger on the seems it felt extremly hard and rough. I compared it to my Vaeon Rubaix Padded (they both share the same level padding) and immediately I notice the difference. The none Reflex was quite soft to the touch and doesn't feel rough much but the REFLEX is like cardboard stiching compared.

I've even posted this review on the Wiggle website but I was not surprised that it doesn't get posted at all.

So beware before you buy this particular range. The Vaeon Zero also is rougher compared to the normal Vaeon Rubaix Padded as well. I really don't know why. So I do recommend the Vaeon Rubaix Padded but the rest I am skepitcal.

Now what other bibs do you guys recommend?

I have some Assos but I find them too expensive (they are amazing though)

I have a Lusso but the fit is terrible for me. For my size it was like I was wearing baggy pants (but Lusso was really comfortable and cheap but I don't wear it)

So what other Bib shorts would you guys recommend for me to try? I would like to buy one more mild winter one and maybe two heavy winter bibs. Please advise.

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    hsiaolc wrote:
    After trying this winter bib for the first time after one trip commute it has caused me serious pain around the padding area. So Painful in fact I thought I couldn't get back home at one stage.

Upon careful inspection by running the finger on the seems it felt extremly hard and rough. I compared it to my Vaeon Rubaix Padded (they both share the same level padding) and immediately I notice the difference. The none Reflex was quite soft to the touch and doesn't feel rough much but the REFLEX is like cardboard stiching compared.

I've even posted this review on the Wiggle website but I was not surprised that it doesn't get posted at all.

So beware before you buy this particular range. The Vaeon Zero also is rougher compared to the normal Vaeon Rubaix Padded as well. I really don't know why. So I do recommend the Vaeon Rubaix Padded but the rest I am skepitcal.

Now what other bibs do you guys recommend?

I have some Assos but I find them too expensive (they are amazing though)

I have a Lusso but the fit is terrible for me. For my size it was like I was wearing baggy pants (but Lusso was really comfortable and cheap but I don't wear it)

So what other Bib shorts would you guys recommend for me to try? I would like to buy one more mild winter one and maybe two heavy winter bibs. Please advise.

Its not your size then is it :roll:
  • personally i love the enduro equipe range. I use their 3/4 lengths all year round plus they have rain / splash proof areas in around the knees and back. They are the most comfortable shorts ive used yet, the downside though is that alot of the green detail stiching started to unravel after a few washes but its only cosmetic.
  • hsiaolc

It is my size but the length is not. But for the same size bibs I have from Assos and DHB the fitting is all fine except Lusso. Maybe they are for tall people shame because price value wise I think Lusso is excellent. Assos is the best fit, most confortable and best padding, basically everything except the price.

So you have any recommendations?
  • hsiaolc
    personally i love the enduro equipe range. I use their 3/4 lengths all year round plus they have rain / splash proof areas in around the knees and back. They are the most comfortable shorts ive used yet, the downside though is that alot of the green detail stiching started to unravel after a few washes but its only cosmetic.

I will take a look but from my memory they are not cheap either if go for the rain proof ones? Over £100?
  • Did you get in touch with DHB before posting on here and the review on Wiggle? Only if I had purchased that item and had the same issue I would have got in touch with them first to try and resolve the issue as they probably welcome feedback rather than a public forum debate.
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    Has no one blamed wiggle yet?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    hsiaolc wrote:

It is my size but the length is not. But for the same size bibs I have from Assos and DHB the fitting is all fine except Lusso. Maybe they are for tall people shame because price value wise I think Lusso is excellent. Assos is the best fit, most confortable and best padding, basically everything except the price.

they changed the sizing for the Vaeon range.. size guide on wiggle is still spot on.

I was a large in the DHB aeron pro shorts, and sized down to a medium in the DHB vaeon roubaix shorts. perfect.

but its still not your size... if it was your size then they would fit! There is no use calling it your size when you need to size down.
  • hsiaolc
    edited November 2012
    they changed the sizing for the Vaeon range.. size guide on wiggle is still spot on.

I was a large in the DHB aeron pro shorts, and sized down to a medium in the DHB vaeon roubaix shorts. perfect.

but its still not your size... if it was your size then they would fit! There is no use calling it your size when you need to size down.

I said many times DHB sizing is fine.

I only had sizing problem with Lusso bibs. Please read a bit before you jump to conclusions?
  • hsiaolc
    Did you get in touch with DHB before posting on here and the review on Wiggle? Only if I had purchased that item and had the same issue I would have got in touch with them first to try and resolve the issue as they probably welcome feedback rather than a public forum debate.

I have already contacted Wiggle and sent my item back and now my review has been posted on their website.

I think their DHB Vaeon Rubaix Padded is good so I still recommend those to fellow cyclists. But I am looking at some other alternatives for now.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    hsiaolc wrote:

Save up a bit longer and buy the Assos.

Why waste time with other stuff that may not fit as well? Don't forget Assos stuff lasts ages so you won't be buying other shorts in a hurry.
  • pipipi
    It's a shame about Reflex not being as comfortable. I was looking for bibs that had some reflective stuff on them, and always worried that on NightVision it would peel off. At least the Reflex had some actual material, if I've understood the photo properly...
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    pipipi wrote:
    It's a shame about Reflex not being as comfortable.

Has anyone else experienced the same? There's a chance this was a one off and Wiggle will refund/replace?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • pipipi
    Well a refund means no money lost.

For me I just liked the idea. I've got some ankle hiviz stuff, but having it sewn on as part of the bib sounded ideal.

Perhaps I should just order (correct size) and find out!
  • hsiaolc
    robbo2011 wrote:
    Save up a bit longer and buy the Assos.

Why waste time with other stuff that may not fit as well? Don't forget Assos stuff lasts ages so you won't be buying other shorts in a hurry.

Actually I just bought another one last night. Still hurts though. I just wanted some chaper pair so I can just not care about it so much. With the Assos I have to wash it with special mild washing liquid from Assos with special pouch and etc etc.

Also not always the more expensive is the best. I was hoping to find something really good value for money.

I really do like the DHB range (I do and thinking about buying two more Robaix Padded for £68). REFLEX is perfect if it weren't for the stupid seems problem. I don't believe I've ever come across rougher seems ever in my life.
  • hsiaolc
    pipipi wrote:
    Well a refund means no money lost.

For me I just liked the idea. I've got some ankle hiviz stuff, but having it sewn on as part of the bib sounded ideal.

Perhaps I should just order (correct size) and find out!

Well according the other user reviews it is almost perfect. I would say it is perfect if it werent for the seems problem.

Very likely it could be just a bad batch and I was very unlucky to get the faulty ones.

Please do buy it and try it and give feedback. If you get a good one then I will probably go buy another.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    If you're on a budget then I'd go for unpadded tights and wear shorts under them so the cash is going on the tight windproofing/waterproofing quality rather than into the pad which you've already paid for in the shorts.
  • robbo2011
    hsiaolc wrote:
    Actually I just bought another one last night. Still hurts though. I just wanted some chaper pair so I can just not care about it so much. With the Assos I have to wash it with special mild washing liquid from Assos with special pouch and etc etc.

It isn't necessary to use them, just some non bio washing liquid and a gentle wash cycle is fine.

Anyway, my guess is that within 12 months, you'll have bought some Assos shorts anyway :wink:
  • hsiaolc
    robbo2011 wrote:

It isn't necessary to use them, just some non bio washing liquid and a gentle wash cycle is fine.

Anyway, my guess is that within 12 months, you'll have bought some Assos shorts anyway :wink:

Not necessary but felt it is good to protect the investment.

I already have 4 pais of Assos bib shorts. They are great especially the padding.
  • robbo2011
    Ah, ok. Missed that bit.

I'm surprised you want to go down market, I couldn't do it now. Rather just save up until I had the money.
  • hsiaolc
    robbo2011 wrote:
    Ah, ok. Missed that bit.

I'm surprised you want to go down market, I couldn't do it now. Rather just save up until I had the money.

Well I don't know I feel guilty every time I spend that much on just clothing so I want to have cheaper alternatives. I do find DHB a good alternative so after wiggle refund I will get two more Rubaix Padded ones from Wiggle. The DHB padding is a lot inferior but I really don't mind wearing it then put it in the washing machine and then let it spin dry!

The fact that Assos says NO SPIN after wash I really don't understand and it is a lot of hassel.