Yet Another Down - Aberdeen

daviesee
daviesee Posts: 6,386
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
As the Title - Yet another rider sadly gone. :cry:
This time it was a tractor* in Aberdeen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-n ... d-20419642

More poignant for me as I was on the bike nearby and heard the sirens.
From the photo shot of the crumpled bike on the local news, he stood no chance.

R.I.P.

Be careful out there.

*Edit:- Latest version is that he was hit by a lorry.
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

Comments

• Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    This is shaping up to be a really crap year for grim statistics. RIP

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • daviesee
    My take on that is that it is a simple matter of statistics.
    Higher number of cyclists = Higher number of incidents.

I see more cyclists this November than I saw in July. Olympics legacy?

Add to that the basic fact that drivers are not adapting well and the conclusions are self evident.

Not connected to the main story Proviso - I still see cyclists without lights. I know we are preaching to the converted here but why can't they see that lights are for their own safety?
  • cloud
    cloud Posts: 62
    aye sad news, i know someone who worked with the lad but didn't know him myself. i don't know the circumstances of this incident but it's another tragic reminder to make sure we're visible, sensible and safe out there. r.i.p. loon.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    daviesee wrote:

Add to that the basic fact that drivers are not adapting well and the conclusions are self evident.

Not connected to the main story Proviso - I still see cyclists without lights. I know we are preaching to the converted here but why can't they see that lights are for their own safety?

I see people with lights on but they might as well not, either crap lights, not on, low batteries or obscured by something or other.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • pete_s
    pete_s Posts: 213
    daviesee wrote:

Personally, I think the statistics reflect the standard of infrastructure (or lack there-of) that are given to cyclists. The Netherlands boasts a 30% modal share of transport with 162 deaths of cyclists in 2011. Compared to the UK where 3% (although this isn't the % of people who use it as transport!) of people cycle with 107 deaths in 2011. The Netherlands has the best cycle infrastructure in the world and therefore the lowers rates of fatalities. The UK is just plain and simply inadequate for cycling and this is reflected in the statistics.
  • daviesee
    Sorry, but I disagree.
    Motor powered vehicles hit other motor powered vehicles. It just happens that we focus on cyclists.
    The main cause for accidents is impatience and bad driving, not the infrastructure.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    rubertoe wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

I see people with lights on but they might as well not, either crap lights, not on, low batteries or obscured by something or other.
    I've noticed the same when driving home, people cycling along, in some cases unlit roads in dark clothing with really dim lights :(

In saying that, this winter I've also noticed just how invisible pedestrians are even when walking along lit streets. And we don't seem to help ourselves be more visible and wear dark clothing during the darkest time of the year.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    There's another time and thread for discussions on visibilty. Thank you.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    jds_1981 wrote:
    This. Surely not intended, but it leaves a smell of "it's his own fault" where it clearly doesn't belong.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    bompington wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:
    This. Surely not intended, but it leaves a smell of "it's his own fault" where it clearly doesn't belong.

Quite, my apologies.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Agreed, we have no idea in this case, remond people by all means to take all cares they can, but don't raise it as a specific issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • daviesee
    Sorry for the tangent.
    I did put in a disclaimer but it was a tangent none the less. :oops:
  • It's a real shame someone just trying to get home from work. It's a bit scary for me as it's a stones throw from home and I often cycle through that roundabout. Thoughts are with the family.
  • It's worth remembering that unlit cyclists are not a significant factor in cycling RTCs, they account for fewer than 2% of accidents:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... ents-study

There are plenty of other things that would reduce the KSI rate, mainly driver behaviour.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Terrible news, I'm in Aberdeen four days a week and do a lot of cycling here. I know that roundabout well. The only thing that might make it safer is traffic lights as used on some of the other Anderson Drive junctions. Big roundabouts are always going to be a hazard when they're busy and there are few alternative routes in Aberdeen.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Long, long time since I posted but the lad was a friend of mine who I played footy with for many years, you wont meet a nicer guy......We're not sure of accident details yet but yes that roundabout is real busy & it's not easy to avoid. Thanks for all the kind messages, his brother is also a close friend & I'm hoping to see him at the weekend.

R.I.P. mate