going to start commuting again - daft time?

kalioon
kalioon Posts: 59
edited November 2012 in Commuting general
Hey guys

Wee back story, used to bike to work, did it for 6 months about a year ago and loved it. then learned to drive, and got lazy over the summer. By accident I ended up on a cycling web site and was immediately bitten again.So ive decided to dump the car and get back in the saddle.

Last year from August until January i biked every day, come hail or storm. Obviously ive lost all my conditioning and fitness (my calves were things of beauty!) Is staring again in the winter a terrible idea? Its not far 6 - 7 miles, but will my lack of practice really tell? Should i wait till its warmer again? I cycled in this weather before, but i was 3 months in so was quite a lot fitter than i am now.

Still got all my gear so i reckon i should just go for it, as i really miss it. Thoughts? Things to watch out for?

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Go for it. Just make sure you're well lit up and watch out for idiots as November seems to be silly season!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    for a 6-7 mile ride, just do it. As a bonus crap weather will be the norm, making summer a massive [be it short lived] novelty.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    If you can keep committed over the next few months, you will prove you are motivated enough. And will have earned a new bike.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Given the number of casualties this month I'd leave it until December or you're asking for trouble.

Mo-em-down-vember
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • mattv wrote:
    If you can keep committed over the next few months, you will prove you are motivated enough. And will have earned a new bike.

MY god, your right! :D

thanks chaps.

Last night i washed all my kit, this weekend ill service the bike, and monday i shall begin the pain! Its MTFU time again. Cant wait, this mornings drive to work all icould think about was how good a cycling day it was. Dry, crisp, and slightly cold. perfect
  • Definitely now - I started about 2 months ago and love it (but can't wait until Spring/Summer). Also this way you can convince family you are serious enough to have cycle goodies for Xmas (but by god - tell them what you want otherwise cycle tat!!!!!)
    Triban 3
  • jae-so
    jae-so Posts: 85
    Given the number of casualties this month I'd leave it until December or you're asking for trouble.

Mo-em-down-vember

Sarcasm?
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    jae-so wrote:

Mo-em-down-vember

Sarcasm?

No , he is being serious. Check out Commuting Chat
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • eede
    eede Posts: 58
    There's no obligation to ride in every day. If you get peed off with it, take a lazy car day rather that beat yourself up too much.
    Friend of Herne Hill Velodrome: http://www.hernehillvelodrome.com/friends/
  • Definitely teh best way to start IMO. I've always advised my colleagues to start in winter, not summer. And it shows - those who tried it in summer will now only cycle in on dry blue sky sunny days. The winter wonders ride year round - wet weather is normal, sunshine just a bonus!
  • pete_s
    pete_s Posts: 213
    I think as long as you've got a waterproof bag or someway of keeping your work clothes dry then the rain isn't a problem, especially if you're going to have a quick wash when you get to work.

I rode through a flood yesterday that almost completely drowned my chainring at it's deepest point. Best commute ever.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    Yeah, the weather is perfect for commuting at the moment. Any hotter than this and I sweat too much. I got home in my fastest time ever last night, on my knackered old bike, in the rain. Also beat two Strava PRs, one was a tenth place, loved it!

GO FOR IT DUDE!
  • Ive definitly got the bug again. Looked outside today and it was peeing down, but still wished i was biking. Roll on Monday. And as a bonus i found both my gloves, not just one! Its an omen!!
  • jae-so
    jae-so Posts: 85
    rubertoe wrote:
    jae-so wrote:

Mo-em-down-vember

Sarcasm?

No , he is being serious. Check out Commuting Chat

I don't see what difference November and December makes, you just gotta be careful and choose to ride when the weather permits
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    The first couple of weeks in November seemed to create a larger than expected number of tumbles. Why? Weather - it was that mix of v cold + damp but not wet that makes roads that have been quite good suddenly seemingly turn into ice rinks in places. That's how I came off. And it's Commuting Chat - you see a thread saying 'Kuh I fell off last night' and think yeah me too, and join in.

November's not so spectacularly unsafe that it's insane to even consider riding a bike, there was just a bit of a blip. If you want to ride to work, go to it, for all the reasons already given.