Scottish Highlands - Mr Bond

2»

Comments

• Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    You can get a "highland experience" within about 2 hours of cycle time from Glasgow (or less in the car or train) head west to Gourock and get the ferry over to Dunoon and from there explore Argyll - lots of very quiet roads, tough climbs and great scenary. Probably some of the best cycling in the UK
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    As pointed out though, have you seen the price of the train.....WOW! Ive paid less for holidays.

You can get it for as little as 19 quid if you book it right. See http://www.scotrail.co.uk/caledoniansleeper/index.html "Bargain Berths".

I live in Aviemore and can recommend a lot of the routes around here, the Cairngorm ski road is a good challenge!
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Navrig wrote:
    declan1 wrote:
    Navrig wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    To answer the OP's dilemma, just move to Scotland. You know it makes sense.

No, no, no no, no.

It is dreadful up here and no-one should be encouraged to move here. We prepare the scenery every summer so people enjoy it but the rest of the year it is really horrible. No point in moving to a place where the equivalent of the population of Yorkshire shares a land mass twice the size of Wales.

It depends on where in Scotland you live ;)

Ive covered a fair bit of Scotland - East Lothian, Edinburgh, Fife (three times), Dundee, Aberdeen, Morayshire, Inverness and back to East Lothian. None of it is worth leaving England. England is a much nicer place to live and a much nicer place for all the Engerland people. It rains here all the time (when it's not snowing or being windy) and the road surfacing is really, really cr4p and not suitable for cycling or motorbiking. You need a 4X4 everywhere in Scotland.

Indeed. Scotland sucks. All those films and photos you see of stunning scenery are CGI and Photoshop. Stay south of the border.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I must go and deep fry some confectionary for the children...
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    sbbefc wrote:
    Its probably easier getting to the alps from london

This.
  • sbbefc wrote:
    Its probably easier getting to the alps from london

This.

As in why bother going to Scotland?
  • unixnerd

They all cycle on the wrong side of the road in the Alps and you have no chance of getting a deep fried Mars bar in Grenoble, none!
  • unixnerd wrote:

They all cycle on the wrong side of the road in the Alps and you have no chance of getting a deep fried Mars bar in Grenoble, none!

I never travel without a deep fat fryer and case of white puddings.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    unixnerd wrote:

The latest this down our way is a deep fried BATTERED pizza of the spray on topping variety. Basically a doughy pizza base coloured red, dipped in batter and deep fried. Wonder how many carbs are in one of them?

PS Smoked sausage is so much better than white puddings.
  • Drumlin
    Drumlin Posts: 120
    bompington wrote:
    To answer the OP's dilemma, just move to Scotland. You know it makes sense.

Yep, that's what I did :D
    Would welcome company for Sat rides west/south of Edinburgh, up to 3 hrs, 16mph ish. Please PM me if interested/able to help.
  • Navrig wrote:
    unixnerd wrote:

The latest this down our way is a deep fried BATTERED pizza of the spray on topping variety. Basically a doughy pizza base coloured red, dipped in batter and deep fried. Wonder how many carbs are in one of them?

I beg to differ - so much more saturated fat can be absorbed in a white pudding. Smoking adds just an extra hinto of cancer risk - why mix your health problems ?
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • And we all ride with hip flasks (although I've started riding with a quarter bottle of Buckie in my jersey).
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Navrig wrote:
    unixnerd wrote:

I beg to differ - so much more saturated fat can be absorbed in a white pudding. Smoking adds just an extra hinto of cancer risk - why mix your health problems ?

Because we can but mostly because we are Scottish?
  • unixnerd
    Well said! The hotel I stay at in Aberdeen has a bottle of whisky next to the morning porridge so you can fortify it if needed. Not decent malt of course, sin to waste that on porridge. It gets a good few remarks of shock, mainly in non-Scottish accents :-)