B Twin vs Tenn Cyling shorts

robertsims
robertsims Posts: 141
edited December 2012 in Road beginners
Hi Guys/girls,

Finally taking plunge into lycra but on serious budget! I know I should go for bib shorts really but want some 'normal' cycling shorts to start off with. Has anyone any experience of either the Tenn shorts on Amazon or the B'Twin reinforced shorts on Decathalon - See below:

Tenn:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Viper-Professio ... 994&sr=1-1

B'twin:
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/reinforced-c ... 51337.html

Any comments much appreciated

Cheers
Triban 3

Comments

• dont waste your money buying shorts because when your ass is hanging out you will regret it. The btwin bib shorts at 20 quid are good. No one can tell the difference of what your wearing...
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    Go for bibs. Seriously. Especially if you have a little extra "padding" around your middle.

Much more comfortable and look better on, if that's something you are worrying about.
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
  • i have the b twin shorts and tights 3

both have the red chamois and i cant fault them for the money
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • Ok Ok you've talked me into it - bib shorts it is!

Anyone know difference between BTwin 3 or BTwin 5. Both seem about same price on Decathalon. Any recommendations gratefully recieved (tenn/BTwin/Muddy Fox????)

Also size wise, I'm 6ft 2, 14 and half stone, 36 waist and thick thighs! Any ideas
    Thanks
    Triban 3
  • I have Btwin 7 bib shorts and they are pretty good. I would say that the Raptor shorts I bought off of ebay are almost as comfortable at a much cheaper price. They seem to be lasting very well and I have no problem with comfort when doing a 50 miler. I have shorts which are more comfortable but are a lot more money.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Raptor-Coolmax-Padded-Cycling-Bike-Cycle-Lycra-Bib-Shorts-S-M-L-XL-XXL-/271036215846?pt=UK_Cycling_Clothing&var=570107453083&hash=item3f1b047226

I am 5' 11" and 34 waist and all my shorts are size large.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • cheers. prob go with b twin bib. Looks like fat git xl size then!
    Triban 3
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    RobertSims wrote:
    cheers. prob go with b twin bib. Looks like fat git xl size then!

Erh no .... More like that most professional cyclists are not exactly big and the sizing is all on the small side.

I am 178lb, 34 waist and 6-4 and take a XLG ( the biggest size available) for my Assos bib tights.

I am not remotely fat ....

So don't worry about perceived sizing and if you do feel you are a bit fat, then that will soon go once you get going properly on your bike (and cut out the junk food).

Regards

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • my bib tights are 5 i think and its to do with thickness
    3 summer 5 mid 7 winter....

my 5's have been usd down to 0 degree
    no probs very warm but i would only ride 3's unless its really cold
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • my bib tights are 5 i think and its to do with thickness
    3 summer 5 mid 7 winter....

my 5's have been usd down to 0 degree
    no probs very warm but i would only ride 3's unless its really cold

I believe that the number (3,5,7 etc) refers to the length of time (comfort) spent in the saddle.
    A 7 for example has a superior (gel) chamois to a 5.
    This is all reflected in the pricing.
    Happy to be proved wrong on this though? :)

£20 no.5 here http://www.decathlon.co.uk/bib-shorts-5-graph-blue-id_8200197.html
    £30 no.7 here http://www.decathlon.co.uk/cycling-shorts-7-braces-red-id_8200206.html

I can vouch for the quality of the 7 for £30 pair
  • That's great everyone - thanks for all advice. Will go for either the 5 or 7, for £10 extra measure get the 7 and be more comfy.

Why did you say use 5 in summer - Is it thinner material as well as padding?
    Cheers
    Triban 3
  • Taken the plunge - 1st lycra bib shorts on their way! Got the B'Twin 7 for £30, can't go wrong!

Cheers for all advice
    Triban 3
  • Good call and good luck :)
  • I've got the padded B Twin bibs, really comfy - once you're geared up nobody gives a monkeys what you're wearing tbh.
  • DapperRob wrote:
    I've got the padded B Twin bibs, really comfy - once you're geared up nobody gives a monkeys what you're wearing tbh.

I assume this is after the wife has finished killing herself with laughter!
    Triban 3
  • i stuck mine on and told the kids i was going wrestling. they didnt know what to think lol
  • oxoman wrote:
    Wait till you turn up at work in full lycra.

Give receptionist something to talk about i guess!!!
    Triban 3
  • I have got a Btwin padded shorts for 9.99 - labelled as for recreational use - I used it like 80 miles and loving it. Btwin stuff are of great quality and in cheap price. Coincidentally, on the same sportive I have a Tenn cycling gloves - they work really well and comfortable but on EvilBay they are becoming really expensive. Mine was 5.99 last year which jumped to 15+ I think.
  • THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

First commute (went the long way as enjoying myself so about 20 miles) in the bib shorts - never going back. No way no how, bib shorts all the way (with jogging bottoms over the top as bloody cold!)

Highly recommend BTwin 7 bib shorts (£30 on Decathalon) - thanks all for advice
    Triban 3
  • RobertSims wrote:
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

First commute (went the long way as enjoying myself so about 20 miles) in the bib shorts - never going back. No way no how, bib shorts all the way (with jogging bottoms over the top as bloody cold!)

Highly recommend BTwin 7 bib shorts (£30 on Decathalon) - thanks all for advice

I use the B-Twin bib tights and they keep me more than warm enough. Still feel a little concious walking through the office to my desk (shower kit in desk drawer)
  • I use the B-Twin bib tights and they keep me more than warm enough. Still feel a little concious walking through the office to my desk (shower kit in desk drawer)[/quote]

You soon get over it. In the summer I did a Sky Ride and cycled home. I did not fuel enough for the ride home and basically was feeling the 'bonk' take effect. I walked into Tesco...bike in hand with 3/4 length lycra, grabbed the lucozade sport and paid...yes I had strange looks but never looked back.

Once you shed the lbs, you do not mind wearing the lycra and I still get looks on way from my office. My mate saw me when he popped round my home yesterday and creased up laughing....you just get use to it! :D
    Cannondale CAADX 5 105
    Trek T10