Brakes for £100 or do I need new rotors too?

Johnnyvee
Johnnyvee Posts: 67
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
Have decided that I may need to bin my old Hope C2 brakes. I have Hope sport hubs with 168mm disks attached on a six bolt fixing. The question is will I need to replace the disc as well or will replacement calipers and levers be enough.

In which case which brakes shoukd I go for bearing in mind my limit?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I've never heard of the hubs, but it looks like you need 5 bolt rotors. I'm hoping someone else will come along and explain the weird sizes!

But for a replacement I'd be looking at shimano deore or slx from rosebikes or bike discount.de
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Johnnyvee wrote:
    Have decided that I may need to bin my old Hope C2 brakes. I have Hope sport hubs with 168mm disks attached on a six bolt fixing.
        do you mean 165mm discs ?
        Greer_ wrote:
        but it looks like you need 5 bolt rotors.
          for a six bolt fixing ? :?
          Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
        • Greer_
          Greer_ Posts: 1,716
          chez_m356 wrote:
          Greer_ wrote:

Missed that, a quick google told me the hubs were 5 bolt, but it must be a different model.
          • chez_m356
            chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
            Greer_ wrote:
            chez_m356 wrote:
            Greer_ wrote:

Missed that, a quick google told me the hubs were 5 bolt, but it must be a different model.
              thats what i found too, just going by what the op said, unless the op's more confused than i am :D
              Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
            • No you dont need to change the rotors. For £100 id get the new Deores. About £70 delivered from Germany. For a little more then most (if not all) will say the new SLX, but the Formula RX are well worth a look too at £120 the pair from bike-discount.de
            • hainman
              hainman Posts: 699
              Shimano XT's from Merlin,just over 120 and next day delivery...
              Giant Reign 2
              Crohnie
            • benpinnick
              benpinnick Posts: 4,148
              Yes you may need new discs. C2 are 165 as you have pointed out. New discs are 160, so your hopes may catch the caliper. best bet, new brakes, slap them on and try. Just budget for the discs incase.
              A Flock of Birds
              + some other bikes.
            • Looks like they are 165 mm and a picture to prove they are indeed held on by 6 not 5 bolts. Maybe I have the model of hub wrong... it is a Hope hub and says xc on the body - I always thought these were known as sport hubs.

Thanks for advice so far.
            • My apologies - i completely neglected the current rotor size :/
            • benpinnick
              benpinnick Posts: 4,148
              XC? all good! The sports had the steel free hub while the XCs have the Ti. Shiny. Otherwise identical. XCs (and bulbs depending on your riding persuasion) are definitely Hope's finest rear hubs.
              A Flock of Birds
              + some other bikes.