First FF Helmet

DCR00
DCR00 Posts: 2,160
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
Morning all

Thinking about getting a FF helmet. Instead of Snowdon, im going to Antur Ffestiniog next month, and wanted a FF for it. I know i dont NEED one...

Dont want to spend loads, maybe up to £80

Have seen a few on CRC which look good. Its really down to these three i think.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=75894

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=69808

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=69477

Anyone use any of these ?

The Urge would have been in the short list as well, but it wont fit my massive head (62cm)

Cheers

DCR

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have a Rampage meself it was a very close thing between the Rampage and the Remedy you won't be disappointed with either of them.

The fit is very similar although the Rampage feels very slightly narrower on the cheeks - sort of taller and thinner - but the difference is marginal. The cheek pads and skull padding are easily removable and it is nice and quiet like a good motorbike helmet. The XL is a great fit on my massive 62cm head.

As an alternative a 661 Evo is a bit more general-purpose. The aperture is quite wide and it feels more like a 661 Recon or Stryker with a chinpiece. Lighter than a Rampage and generally 'less' IYKWIM but arguably a bit more versatile
  • DCR00
    CRC do have the 661 Evo at £50, which is very tempting

Only thing putting me off is some reviews suggest its a "one crash" helmet, although im not sure what that really means

The reveiws of the Giro and the Fox suggested they would take more abuse. Im edging more towards the Fox TBH, so the fact you like yours is good for me (plus we have similar sized heads, so good to know it will fit)
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    What about the THE T2?

I really like mine, the quality is really nice. I used to have a Point 5 and a 661 Evo before that and I wouldn't even have to think about which I would go for again, would definitely be the T2. The strap is easier to pull through on the T2 than on the Point 5 but obviously the clip on the 661 is easier to use but supposedly not as secure in a crash. All of the padding is fully removable so you can wash it. It's not too hot compared to others either but it's still a full face so don't expect miracles. It also comes with a spare peak in the box and quite a nice helmet bag to carry it around in along with your goggles and gloves etc.
  • .blitz
    DCR00 wrote:
    CRC do have the 661 Evo at £50, which is very tempting Only thing putting me off is some reviews suggest its a "one crash" helmet, although im not sure what that really means
    tbh they are all 'one crash' products. If you crash and it saves your head/face then it's done its job. I hit a tree with my old THE and there are pieces of bark embedded in the shell. It looks OK - more scuffed than anything - but I'd never wear it again.

The Evo is definitely lighter than the Rampage and the padding is thinner and if you're not used to a full-face helmet it fits very much like a trail helmet. Although it's marketed as a DH lid I use mine on the trails esp when it's cold it's not too heavy and is quite well ventilated but the lining isn't removable. The Rampage in contrast is a proppa protective ff helmet it feels solid and stable and quiet and is magic when it comes to pointing downhill and pinning it.
    DCR00 wrote:
    The reveiws of the Giro and the Fox suggested they would take more abuse. Im edging more towards the Fox TBH, so the fact you like yours is good for me (plus we have similar sized heads, so good to know it will fit)
    Fox UK are based in Gateshead and when I asked the lbs about a Rampage they got a L and an XL in for me to try. I bought the XL and they sent the other one back to Fox no prob maybe your lbs could do the same
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    DCR00 wrote:
    Only thing putting me off is some reviews suggest its a "one crash" helmet, although im not sure what that really means

The reveiws of the Giro and the Fox suggested they would take more abuse.

All helmets are one crash only! Unless its a slow speed light impact I wouldn't use it again. You have no idea idea of the damage that has been done to the internal structure when it absorbed the impact. Its done its job, buy a new one. Many manufacturers have a crash replacement scheme to help reduce costs for the user.

Also I would not use user reviews to suggest how much abuse a helmet can take. Check what certifications it has to give a clue as how well it might help to reduce injuries. But I would have thought anything from the popular brands would be fit for purpose for your average rider.

Also if it's your first helmet I strongly advise going to a store a trying some on. Each helmet has a different fit and suit different people.
  • DCR00
    Indeed, i wouldnt personally use a helmet after a crash.

Some of the reviews i read suggested that some people are....

Its looking like the Fox is the one for me
  • .blitz
    If it's any help Fox recommend that with the helmet on and fastened, your face should move with the helmet as you turn it from side-to-side. Also should not be able to remove the helmet by pulling upwards from the back

Both the Rampage and Remedy were the same in this respect but the Rampage fitted my longer face slightly better.
    tosbalok.jpg

FWIW the lining hasn't compressed much in over a year it's still quite luxurious despite frequent washing.
  • DCR00
    Helmet arrived today

Very happy with it. Much lighter than i was expecting. Perfect fit as well.

Roll on the 9th
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    The bell and the giro look horrible, as well as the giro being pretty uncomfortable, go for the fox. However I would recommend going to a shop where you can actually try them on, as they will all fit differently.

EDIT: didn't read the thread, good choice ;)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5