1 x 10 without a chainguard?

TheJackal
TheJackal Posts: 169
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Would love to lose my front shifters and derailleur but can't see the point if I've got to add a chainguard on a single front 39T chainring.

Do any of youse run a single front chainring without a chainguard for XC?

My rear derailleur is a standard XX 10 speed.
2012 Santa Cruz Highball Carbon 19 lbs
2009 Ibis Tranny __ lbs

Comments

• josep
    josep Posts: 38
    Wouldn't recommend it, I tried to run 1x9 without a chain guide a i dropped the chain twice on a 8 mile ride. Then i got a simple ethirteen top guide and i haven't dropped the chain in 2 years!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just lock out the front mech.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Many ways of keeping the chain on, crossed fingers isn't one that works!

Bash and inner ring, bash and n-gear jump stop, bespoke chain guide or old front mech all work.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 70\ʹspenguin
    70\ʹspenguin Posts: 957
    edited November 2012
    Two light methods:

1. Paul's Chainkeeper - very neat and minimal and only 70g http://www.paulcomp.com/ckclamp.html
    2. BBG superlight bash - 40g http://www.bbgbashguard.com/superlights.html with N-Gear Jump Stop http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.php?prod=chng-js about 30g
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    I use a superstar top guide which is very light and cost me £16. Comes in a range of colours too.

I had a few chainkeeping issues initially, but after playing around with the the angle a bit and spacing it out slightly, the chain hasnt come off since. I would reccomend it, especially as it costs less than half of some similar big brand products.

Since I had issues with the non adjusted top guide, I definately would not want to try it without a guide at all.

You could always go to sram xx1 though, if you're loaded.
  • Many thanks to you all. I might check out the cost of some of the suggestions. Despite only having a 11-28 cassette on the back, I just never use the smaller front ring, hence my question.
    2009 Ibis Tranny __ lbs
  • The Rookie
    So just wind the mech out on the low stop and use that as your GUIDE.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Tried the Superstar Chain device but found that because I'm trying to fit it to the outside ring of an XX chainset, it doesn't seem to stretch far enough to fit.

Without modifying it, that is. Currently working on trying to insert some sort of washer-come-bolt in between the chain top guide and the backplate, just to push the top guide out far enough so that it doesn't rub the chain. Might have to get a long bolt to do this.

I've also ordered a Paul Chainkeeper from the States.
    2009 Ibis Tranny __ lbs
  • Is there not enough clearance from the chainstay to put the 39t on the middle ring setting?
  • The Rookie
    Put it in the outer location and you'll have a 1x9 as you should never use the largest gear at the back as you'll be cross chaining......
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    39t single with 11-28? May I recommend Sir either finds some hills or gives the BCF a tinkle.
  • Couldn't move the outer to the middle, as it's an XX double.

Modified the backplate by inserting some hard plastic, 4mm thick, as a washer-come-packing. Drilled it, so that the bolt can go through and hold it in place. Seems nice and tight but I haven't ridden it yet but will let you know.

Slight rub on the largest sprocket which I'll only ever use in extremis, due to cross chaining, so good to go.

Njee, mate. Give us BCF's number and I'll get in touch :) Dinner plates on the rear are for wusses!

Seriously though, have you seen that new XXI cassette? It's about half the size of the flaming wheel. What's all that about?
    2009 Ibis Tranny __ lbs
  • The Rookie
    Seems dumb to go 1x10 with a crankset that won't work....why not get one that will?
  • 39t single with 11-28? May I recommend Sir either finds some hills or gives the BCF a tinkle.

That should be fine in the hills. As long as you only want to go down...
  • njee20
    Njee, mate. Give us BCF's number and I'll get in touch Dinner plates on the rear are for wusses!

Seriously though, have you seen that new XXI cassette? It's about half the size of the flaming wheel. What's all that about?

It's designed primarily for Enduro racing, but I'd definitely use it for XC. Good enough for half the Olympic field after all.

In all seriousness though, I assume you live somewhere very flat? That strikes me as an incredibly limiting choice.
  • I've never done Snowdon or would be able to do it on such a ratio but I do single speed most of the time so gears, any gears, are a luxury, IMHO.

And it's certainly not flat around these parts.

As for the choice of chainset, Beginner. The XX is what's been fitted for the last year. You're not seriously suggesting that I scrap a perfectly good chainset, when there are chain guides that will work on a double, are you?

The Suoerstar one just needed a little bit of modification, that's all. In an ideal World the Paul one would have been available over here but it wasn't!

Anyway, I'll test it out this week and let you know.
    2009 Ibis Tranny __ lbs
  • njee20
    Fair enough. Seems very odd to me. SS is one thing, but you have all the disadvantages and none of the advantages! Clearly a well specced bike, why limit it?

Are you using the stock ring too? I found my XX big ring wore in no time, and would suggest chain retention will then be crap running single.
  • By the same token, why carry stuff around that's never used?

Never touched the small ring or the shifters. Might as well cash in, as they and the front derailleur have never been touched.

If I ever do Snowdon or the like I'll put 'em back on!

The stock big ring seems OK but as I said I'll ride it and see what happens. If it wears, I'd have to replace it any way.

Thanks for your concerns.
    2009 Ibis Tranny __ lbs
  • The Rookie
    What were suggesting is building it right to take advantage of what you have, rather than building it wrong so you don't......
  • njee20

Not if you've sold them...

Serious question... Why not just get a cross bike? If all your riding can be done on that sort of gearing it's obviously not overly taxing, why not have a super light CX bike to do it on?
  • Beginner. I'm not sure I follow you. The bike's been built for a year. I'm tinkering and experimenting with going 1 x 10. What's it got to do with being right or wrong?

I did 15miles on it today and the chain didn't budge once, so so far so good. 25 mile night ride tomorrow so I shall report back then if the top guide doesn't hold, or if like you say, it turns out to be a dumb idea.

Thanks for you concerns though.
    2009 Ibis Tranny __ lbs
  • njee20 wrote:

Not if you've sold them...

Serious question... Why not just get a cross bike? If all your riding can be done on that sort of gearing it's obviously not overly taxing, why not have a super light CX bike to do it on?

Don't worry! I've been looking for a while now at CX bikes. Just trying to make do until I take the plunge next winter. Any recommendations?
    2009 Ibis Tranny __ lbs
  • njee20
    S-Works Crux, some carbon wheels, Di2.
  • I'll bear that in mind. Was angling for an Ibis Hakkalugi but will have to revisit how much I want to keep my Tranny...

Anyway, as far as the OP is concerned...

3 rides in including a very rough ride on Staffs finest Moorland last night and absolutely no problems with the Superstar Chain Guide.

Out - £17. In - £100 (XX front derailleur, XX Front 2x10 shifter and 26T XX chainring)

Many thanks all.
    2009 Ibis Tranny __ lbs
  • njee20
    Errr yes, why would you have an issue with that, thought we were talking about doing without a guide? I've been using a Superstar guide for over a year and had no issues.