Would Marzocchi Drop Offs fit a 2004 Carrera Kraken?

Metalien
Metalien Posts: 6
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi Folks, as the title suggests I'm looking at adding some new forks to my trusty old 2004 Carrera Kraken MTB. I'm on an extreme budget so will be buying second hand gear to add to my second hand bike but need to know if Marzocchi Drop Off triple clamp shocks would fit onto my bike? I'm neither blessed with much money nor the ability to spend a fortune on anything more expensive.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They would fit, but would be completely unsuitable, and possibly dangerous. Stick with 80-100mm single crown forks.

How much were they?
  • £100 second hand. I haven't actually purchased them yet, I was waiting to see what advice I would be given before buying. I very much like triple clamps as I'm a sucker for good looking kit, though being a complete newcomer to mountain biking, and a relative late one at 36, I don't wish to rush out and blow my limited funds on something that wont work. I enjoy downhill riding and some cross country so I'm definitely looking for something that's suitable for both tasks.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Kraken isn't a downhill bike though. If you run disc brakes, go for one of these:

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/f ... -2013.html

Much, much better suited to your bike, and will actually perform better than the Marzocchi.
  • I know it's not a downhill bike but when you've got four kids and it's christmas it's all I could afford, lol. I like to ride for leisure, I just want a bike I can ride with my mates. Thank you for the info on those shocks though, I'll definitely look into them.

Edit: After the new year I'm looking at buying myself a second hand Kona Stinky off a friend for £400 so I just need to keep this old Kraken going for a few more months. It's just that my shocks are truly knackered and in need of replacing.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Forks, shocks are at the rear of a full susser.

If it's only got to last a few months then get the cheapest single crown 80-100mm forks you can.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    But the Stinky will be useless for XC, so might as well get decent forks.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Drop offs are some of the worst forks ever made, £100 is a lot of money for those particular forks, your bike was very much not intended for forks of that nature, a stinky is NOT an XC bike, retarded idea, etc etc.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Stinky for downhill. Carrera for everything else. I'm not rich nor a hardcore rider, I do this for leasure.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited November 2012
    So fit the right forks to the Carrera for everything else, somethinmg like some 120mm Manitous can be had for circa £60 and would be a much much better bet!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Stinky's are awful bikes, heavy, dodgy handling and twitchy. They were reasonable freeride bikes when they first come out. They handle even worse with long triple clamps. A set of 160mm single crown forks works better on the Stinky, keeps the bottom bracket lower and improves stability.
    For £400 you could get a reasonable Specialized Big Hit which is much better
  • So fit the right forks to the Carrera for everything else, somethinmg like some 120mm Manitous can be had for circa 360 and would be a much much better bet!

Stinky's are awful bikes, heavy, dodgy handling and twitchy. They were reasonable freeride bikes when they first come out. They handle even worse with long triple clamps. A set of 160mm single crown forks works better on the Stinky, keeps the bottom bracket lower and improves stability.
    For £400 you could get a reasonable Specialized Big Hit which is much better

Cool, thanks for the info. I had no idea that Stinky's had such a terrible rep.