Stans Fluid Change

Jgb1
Jgb1 Posts: 50
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have been using Stans fluid for about 6 months now and am thinking its about time to add more while the goings good.
Are you supposed to remove the old fluid or just top it up?

Comments

• top it up, you'll prolly find the fronts fine but the rears low,

i made my own fluid a couple of months back, liquid latex, de-ionised water, tumble dryer fluff (seriously!!!),
    some people add in some Xanthen gum to thicken it a little, but have had no issues with mine, mixed 200mm latex 100mm de-ionised water and a handfull of fluff to create the clogging ingredients for holes, total cost £9 for what'll make 3L!

theres a HUGE thread on mtbr.com forum about it,
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Jgb1
    Jgb1 Posts: 50
    i made my own fluid a couple of months back, liquid latex, de-ionised water, tumble dryer fluff (seriously!!!),
    some people add in some Xanthen gum to thicken it a little, but have had no issues with mine, mixed 200mm latex 100mm de-ionised water and a handfull of fluff to create the clogging ingredients for holes, total cost £9 for what'll make 3L!

Ok Thanks!

Yes I have heard about that and will try it next time but I've got half a bottle of Stans to use first.
  • How long it lasts partly depends on how well sealed it was when you first added the sealant.

I never got a really good seal on my first attempt with Stans due to a slight leak around the valves.

Whilst it was only a slow loss the exposure to air meant the sealant was completely dried out after 3 months.

The second time, I peeled off the old latex and started again taking care to properly seal the valves and this time they hold air aswell if not better than when I ran tubes.

If you shake the tyre can you still hear fluid sloshing around? After 6 months it has probably dried out.

If you have valves with removable cores just add more sealant through the valve.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo