Tandems

brandfreak
brandfreak Posts: 137
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

Seriously considering buying a MTB tandem. Anyone know of anywhere in the UK who might have a hire bike, try before you buy deal or something similar?

Thanks

Comments

• Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Any help?

http://www.tandems.co.uk/about.php

A former collegaue spoke highly of them.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Can you buy MTB tandems? I thought they were all tourers.
    (I couldn't see anything but trouble for a couple on a tandem down my local trails.)

Edit: I'm very wrong http://mtbtandems.com/
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Can you buy MTB tandems? I thought they were all tourers.
    (I couldn't see anything but trouble for a couple on a tandem down my local trails.)

Edit: I'm very wrong http://mtbtandems.com/

I was going to say - 'yes, there's even a full suss one available from JD Tandems'.

But hey, you beat me to it! 8)
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Tandem MTBing is quite popular in the US.

I have a poke around MTBR forum, IIRC, there is a specific section for this, also some very interesting pictures of tandem MTBs!
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    They did have one for hire at gelert bikes, beddgelert.
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    The missus and I hired a tandem MTB at Rutland Water some years back http://www.rutlandcycling.com/article/495/hire-a-bike.html

I should point out that that there's "special" communication required between pilot and stoker. I finished the day with a mysterious pain in the back of my head...
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • Can you do drops on em?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Can you do drops on em?
    sure

bakertandemtm9.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    In flared Jeans....really?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    nicklouse wrote:
    Can you do drops on em?
    sure

bakertandemtm9.jpg

I ride that....would never get me on that tandem though :D
  • Hi all

Thanks for your input. I have bougha cheap tandem. It came with (cabla) disc brakes and a Suntour suspension fork (magnesium, ooer) it is definitely not a MTB. In fact I looked at it and thought "what a piece of sheep poo". But then I caught myself and thought this will take my wife and I "green laning" and get us used to tandems.

Yes there are things that need to be be changed "and improved" - but only as our skills improve. Does this sound familiar? My hope is that we go from strength to strength, riding ever increasingly difficult terrain. Upgrading components as we go and ultimately buying better, more capable bikes.

I look forward to developing our skills as "team effort" tandem riders and would like to keep this thread alive to share our experiences. I noticed a tandem section in "the roc d'azure" MTB race in the south f France (published in WMB this month) - it's a goal. So if you would like to hear about our progress send "YEEHAH Team Effort". If you don't and you think MTBing is for solo riders only send "sod off" and I will slink off into a corner, grow a beard and start wearing tank tops.

Thank you for your participation.
  • nicklouse
    when changing things on the tandem ask first as it is not quite a simple as just swapping out parts as there are other considerations that have to be thought about.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Thanks for the advice Nicklouse, I,m a beginner at this tandeming and will seek the wisdom of others.
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    This is the most important thing learnt from my own (extremely limited) experience:

If your beloved is already astride the rear of a tandem and you casually throw your leg over the front seat and reflexively spin the cranks to the start position, you have just given them an excruciating crack on the shin with one of the rear pedals!

Believe me when I say this ends up hurting you much more...
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • nicklouse
    yes and quads and more.